Worth it? Watch

johannski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
IB students, newly graduated or others who think they know - is it really worth it? I mean, to get a good grade, you need to work hard, hard, hard. I'm kind of getting the feeling that I'm not good enough for this and I'm not sure I can get a fair grade. I don't want to be the first to fail the diploma on my school and I don't want anything below 40! I'm aiming for 45 obviously. Problem is that I suck at everything! No matter how much I study, I get bad results. Bad study technique? Maybe.

back to the question; is it worth it? I'm about to start my EE (English A2 "The characterization of Morton Rainey as John Shooter in Stephen King's novel Secret Window") and I don't think I'll do it well. So - is it worth it? The strain, the work, the blood, the sweat, the tears?

Luv //J.

________________________________ ____
IB exams '08
Swedish A1 HL
English A2 HL
Biology HL
Maths Studies SL
French B SL
Economics SL
Deus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Choose another EE topic?

http://www.unknown-insanity.com/uplo...es/1/IBman.jpg
johannski
Rep:
?
ha.ha. no no I'm satisfied with my EE subject. Thing is, I don't think I could do a good EE no matter the subject! So is it worth all the anxiety and everything else involved in the IB? 'Cause I won't do well I'm afraid. Is it still worth it?

Luv //J.

________________________________ ____
IB exams '08
Swedish A1 HL
English A2 HL
Biology HL
Maths Studies SL
French B SL
Economics SL
sdawood
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The IB is one of the most respected pre-degree qualifications. The breadth of knowledge and skills that it imbues in its students is incredibly useful, and gives students the potential to dominate their studies in further education, and further their knowledge in effective fashions.

The IB is all about perseverance though. If you are having problems, seek out how to fix them (tutors, friends, etc.) It doesn't matter if you get a 45 or a 25, what matters is what you do with what you earn.

With respect to your EE, it is best if you can find something to write about that you are passionate about, or that is interesting to you: it makes the process much easier.
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well said sdawood.

In regards to your EE, how can you feel so negative about it? I really enjoyed (still enjoying) writing my EE on Road Rage for Psychology. It's really interesting and I learnt a lot. It's a lot of work but if it's something that interests you.. It flies by. Don't be negative.

Be positive! +
johannski
Rep:
?
I do love my EE topic. I love, love, love the film and I'm kind of eager to get started, but I suck at English so I'm afraid I'll fail.

I don't want to graduate and get 25 I mean, that would be awful. Not that I need the grade afterwards, the school I will apply to doesn't care about the grades and stuff, but I still want a good one!

I am so afraid of failing that it prevents me from succeeding. But I can't succeed. that is the problem.

Luv //J.
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes you can. Why do you think you cannot?

Unfortunately almost all good things in life require work to achieve. When I started the IB I was failing everything except for French (because I am fluent). Now I am on top of the work and doing great. I spent some time over summer working on my EE, and everything is good. There is a lot of stress of course but I think it is worth it, as it builds character and helps you learn organisation, etc.

I think the IB doesn't get all the credit it deserves at the moment, but that is changing. If you apply with the IB in 2008 on UCAS, it already has a lot more merit.

Universities are starting to recognise that if you pass the IB (who cares about score) that you are already capable of good time management and dedication.

Don't get yourself down, it's not worth it. Just do what I do when I'm stressed. Step back. Write a list of things that need to be done. Then pick a random number and count down the list until you reach that number. Then erase everything else on the list and work on that.

Then you slowly but surely get your work done. While you do one thing, FORGET about the rest.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it's worth it, yes. Personally, I didn't actually use my IB results for anything because I'm in a place where the IB isn't recognised, but I still think it was worth it. The type of work and studying you have to do for it is kind of similar to what you'll be doing at university, as is the style of your answers and essays.
So even if you do suck at everything, which you probably don't or you wouldn't be aiming so high, the process will still be giving you an advantage for the future
HMSChocolate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you're being a bit pessimistic? you shouldn't think you can't do it, think that you can!

don't be afraid of a couple of low grades in your first year. you should not expect straight 7s in the first year, because that's the reason you have 2 years for the course - so that you get used to the system and get your way around the exam papers and improve!

though I think you shouldn't put all your hopes on getting 45+ at the end of the thing becasue trying too hard will not help. if you try too hard, you will only be sorely disappointed when you dont get it. aim for 40+ but don't kill yourself if you don't end up with 45.

as to why you might be getting bad results no matter the amount of study you do, I think you're focussing too much on the result. relax a bit! forget the mark at the end of the test for one thing and just focus on figuring out what you can do and what you can't do in an assignment.

back to your question, though. Was it worth it? Yes because you know what you've achieved in the end and you know it was all that work that gave you this diploma. but there might always be disappointment in your final grades, in certain subjects, but it's the overall score that really counts. Get over the minor disappointments!

And relax! Really, you sound way too worked up!
sp2007
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if you aim for a 40 there is NO way that you'll be able to fail.
hahaha anything about a 24 is passing :p:

where do you want to go to university though?
because for one thing, if you want to go the states and you think that the IB is too difficult (and it won't be! relax!) then don't take the IB. Just concentrate on taking the SATs and do well on those.

but really. relax!
the IB isn't that bad
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone with very little rep negged me for a post. I don't mind being negged but I would like to know why. I feel like i have been as supportive as possible in this thread.
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Deus)

Universities are starting to recognise that if you pass the IB (who cares about score) that you are already capable of good time management and dedication.
no they aren't . No university will admit you purely cos you passed the IB unless the points score they ask for will reflect the A level grades they ask for. All unviersities care about score. Turning up on time at work for 25 years shows dedication and time management, that doesn't qualify me to study economics at oxford :p: i love being pedantic.
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I should mention that they are recognising results in the IB more. Nottingham ask for AAB and 38 points in IB. Bath ask for AAA and 36 points in the IB. Huh?

Anyway LSE lowered its IB requirements for the IB too this year, and in 2008 the tariff system will show how much IB is worth, well almost.

In my opinion. 666666 in the IB is AAAAAA in A levels
johannski
Rep:
?
I'm not pessimistic -I'm realistic! It's just that I studied like a lot to this biology test and I thought I knew it all - and I got 68 % :eek: ! I mean, that's not even close to good!

I always aim at the top, because there is no reason not to. I know I won't be satisfied with less than 45, even though I know I won't get that high.

I want to go to Guildhall school of music and drama after the IB, and they don't care at all about the grades - only the auditions they have. But I still want a good grade. I would go to another education if I could, but I need the english, because Guildhall is right outside London and I want to live in London lateron. I just don't know what I'll do, because I don't have any opinions about stuff to discuss anyway, that's another story...

I know I shouldn't take the IB, it's just not for me, but what do you do..

Luv //J.
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you have other options? A levels?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask the university you are going to what they would like.
HMSChocolate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I still think you sound too worked up. what subjects are you taking specifically?
simarik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by HMSChocolate)
I still think you sound too worked up. what subjects are you taking specifically?
yea i agree with HMSChocolate, u seem really worked up about the IB, it may be due to ur school emphasizing the importance of the IB n also the level of difficulty which is potentially involved....IB is hard yes, but it requires dedication n persistence more than intellect i would say....n trust me, my school also made the IB program sound for only genuises so i was really reluctant to take it up, but once ur in it urself u realise that if ur devoted to ur success in the IB, things will eventually look better...

theres really no need to worry n stress so much abt it...n also its human nature to see our failures rather than our successes....observe wat u have achieved, not ur mishaps
HMSChocolate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by simarik)

theres really no need to worry n stress so much abt it...n also its human nature to see our failures rather than our successes....observe wat u have achieved, not ur mishaps
well said. I found to do well in the IB I had to more or less enjoy what I was doing (I know, tall order when you've got deadlines on you), or at least enjoy the subjcts. and I strongly stress again, relax!!! seriously, stressing (haha) over the grades will not help.
johannski
Rep:
?
(Original post by HMSChocolate)

I take:

Swedish A1 HL
English A2 HL
Biology HL
French B SL
Economics SL
Maths Studies SL

Luv //J.
simarik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
johannski...

ur still at the very beginning of ur IB diploma...let the first yr pass by n then ull begin to see the value of doing IB....i was extremely overwhelmed when i first started the diploma also, but once ur completely incorporated into the program, things do change

if ur srs abt the IB programme ur on the right track
but if u dnt think IB is for u, considering another system or program mite prove beneficial
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise