Careworker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Any other male care professionals on here finding it impossible to break into the childcare sector? I'm very qualified and essentially work in every category there is: learning disabilities, mental health, secure-clinical, elderly, youths, housing, paralysis, suicidal watch, epilepsy, non-verbal etc. Except for children....

Seriously how experienced and/or qualified does a guy have to be before he's exempt from the pervert/peadophile jokes/assumptions? Really grinds my gears when I'm allowed to work one-to-one completely alone with a young female with severe cognitive delays and stunted growth.. Mentally the same age as a child and physically near enough the same height, I'm trusted to be the care professional I am in assignments like this yet I'm not with a child?

I'll be honest I'm interested in entering the child sector for 2 reasons. One is slightly more egoistic than the other. The more selfish reason is that childcare is a gigantic percentage of the total care sector and if I could get into it I would have a lot more work. The more noble reason is that I actually *like* children and believe they should be exposed to male role models from an early age.
Careworker
Rep:
?
Lol last time I start a thread with the P-Word in it. Taken a week for it to be 'reviewed'.
jade.shannon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just found this post and I completely agree with male staff being positive role models for child, I hope after all this time you have found a job that realises how passionate you are and what an asset you could be. I hope I find staff for my future nursery just like you :thumbsup:
Careworker
Rep:
?
(Original post by jade.shannon)
I've just found this post and I completely agree with male staff being positive role models for child, I hope after all this time you have found a job that realises how passionate you are and what an asset you could be. I hope I find staff for my future nursery just like you :thumbsup:
Ha ha don't suppose the nursery is in Berkshire? I have actually been doing ad hoc work at a school for severely autistic children ranged 5-19 with an adult unit that goes up to 25. Most of the time I'm bumped up to the adult unit as I'm a 6''6 male and staff are constantly getting injured etc. I like looking after the adults but find the lower school a lot more fun.

I got booked for a double shift in the lowest age unit which is 5-11 and had a one-to-one boy who was 6 who was very fun to support. I remember most of the day was just reading books, watching cartoons, toys, building stuff, doing group work etc. It was so chilled and fun didn't even feel like working.

At the end of first shift (I was there for a double) a second team came on which was all female and the team leader immediately said well he's not going to be on tonight swap him out with someone from one of the other houses.

Really annoyed me to be honest as this new shift team hadn't even met me before and were already getting rid of me simply because I was a man. The team I was on with during the early shift had 3 men including me in a team of 7 and the female team leader was so much more reasonable and dare I say it.. Less sexist?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (99)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.48%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.48%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.09%

Watched Threads