66.67%
No (5)
33.33%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Government admit that mass immigration has destroyed wages for British workers. The Treasury Select Committee includes MP's from the LibDems, Tories, Labour & SNP

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/p...cle4352879.ece
Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you've editorialised this news article a lot. The title in the article is 'Low pay misery blamed on influx of migrant workers', not 'Government admits immigration has destroyed wages for British workers'.

Yes some MPs have admitted that they think 'migrant workers are depressing wages', but they've also acknowledged 'the benefits of immigration for the labour market.' So it works both ways. We can't have our cake and eat it; i.e. we can't expect to enjoy the benefits of what immigrants bring to the economy without realising that there's bound to be some kind of drawback.

I haven't seen all of the article because I don't pay to read The Times, so there might be more to the story than I'm aware of - but I think it's unlikely there is. Everyone's just looking for someone to blame when the economy is even remotely struggling.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am not answering the stupid poll question.

If you pay higher wages to workers with little to no skills then goods will be expensive.

That just means the poor will pay for the increase in goods or people will import cheaper goods from abroad and businesses will close down.

So I really don't care if immigration makes wages lower.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)
Government admit that mass immigration has destroyed wages for British workers. The Treasury Select Committee includes MP's from the LibDems, Tories, Labour & SNP

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/p...cle4352879.ece
You know select committees aren't part of the Government right? They are actively designed not to be...

I can't really see how they've destroyed my wages tbh.
frankieboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yet another thinly veiled anti-immigration semi-racist thread blatantly spinning the title into half baked rhetori for its on purpose.

Pathetically transparent.

Edit - ''rhetoric'' sorry my keyboard's on its way out.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)

If you pay higher wages to workers with little to no skills then goods will be expensive.

That just means the poor will pay for the increase in goods or people will import cheaper goods from abroad and businesses will close down.

True but the trend isn't going to be linear. Businesses are in the business of making money after all.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depressing wages is obviously bad for the worker but good for business. One could argue that low wages help British businesses to be more competitive and so employ more people including British people.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Depressing wages is obviously bad for the worker but good for business. One could argue that low wages help British businesses to be more competitive and so employ more people including British people.
And reduces cost of goods for workers.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
I think you've editorialised this news article a lot.
You have come across any of Ace123's threads before right?
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Good idea. Employ more people for a non-living wage. This is definitely not something people think is a bad idea.

Women completely entering the workforce on equal footing also depressed wages and decreased standards of living for everyone. Forcing mothers out of the house to work for the same standard of living as a single wage family.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HigherMinion)
Good idea. Employ more people for a non-living wage. This is definitely not something people think is a bad idea.

Women completely entering the workforce on equal footing also depressed wages and decreased standards of living for everyone. Forcing mothers out of the house to work for the same standard of living as a single wage family.
Well thats not true.

It decreased relative living standards for single person households.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

A couple earning £50k apiece retain more of their combined earnings than one person earning £100k.
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Well thats not true.

It decreased relative living standards for single person households.
(Original post by TurboCretin)
A couple earning £50k apiece retain more of their combined earnings than one person earning £100k.
You're both missing the point. If one wage can support a family, the other can do what? Support their children. Finances and "independence" aren't actually the most important thing in the world, you know. Propagation and survival is. Division of labour was incredibly important to the stable private British culture.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're both missing the point. If one wage can support a family, the other can do what? Support their children. Finances and "independence" aren't actually the most important thing in the world, you know. Propagation and survival is. Division of labour was incredibly important to the stable private British culture.
Propagation and survival of the human race is pretty inconsequential.
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Propagation and survival of the human race is pretty inconsequential.
What the hell are you talking about?
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was also pretty stifling for women who fancied a life outside the kitchen. The division of labour of which you speak contributed quite strongly toward a perception that women don't belong in certain roles in society. For some women, home-making isn't the most important thing in the world, you know.
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes and it's fantastic for our economy so let it continue.

The question is not really debatable though as to whether immigration causes reduced wages for domestic workers in the short-term, it obviously does as it results in higher supply of labour and labour which is very cheap too. However the economic advantages that brings will in the long run in real terms increase the wages of everyone, those immigrants and the incumbent brits.

The problems associated with it are more cultural and social than economic, immigration is always a good thing economically which is why the EU and Gordon Brown pushed so hard for the free movement of labour.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What the hell are you talking about?
Refuting your point.

What were you on about?

How is propagation important to me?
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
It was also pretty stifling for women who fancied a life outside the kitchen. The division of labour of which you speak contributed quite strongly toward a perception that women don't belong in certain roles in society. For some women, home-making isn't the most important thing in the world, you know.
And those women were spinsters. There was a taboo about not finding a bloke because it was usually a matter of life and death. If you didn't have a stable partner to procreate with, your family line ended at you.

Just a personal anecdote, but three of my great aunties were spinsters whom all lived together in London. Not rich, but rather comfortable- all worked and none of them felt at all oppressed. If I recall, there was an issue requiring they get a man's signature to guarantee their mortgage for the house, but that's all. They all had comfortable jobs and didn't need a man; it's just that most want one. It's rather natural to want children, you know?
fodder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)

I thought Adolf Hitler was supposed to be on the side on the workers and the nation but you're displaying a Hitler photo and saying you don't care about low wages and discussing free markets and global goods markets. Confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.24%
Virtual campus tours/open days (131)
24.3%
Live streaming events (47)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.65%
A uni comparison tool (124)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (119)
22.08%