Turn on thread page Beta

Nuffield Advanced Chemistry Unit 6 watch

Announcements

It started off nice and easy with ionic bonding questions but soon it got IMPOSSIBLE. That was the WORST WORST WORST PAPER I've ever done. I am guaranteed a C.

What was the oxidation no of nitrogen ion that funny compound... what were the bond angles... what was the compound in the ir/mass spec question... and how the hell did you do the leu-gly thingy???

and for some reason did anyone get that the electron affinty for chlorine was different to that in the data book (like -386kjmol^-1 or something)

I didn't think that paper was too bad - it could've been much much worst if they'd asked more about redox equilibria stuff, but there was only 1 Q on that - yay!

I didnt like the first question though, I thought it got easier as it went on.
    I put the oxidation no. of N was -1 in NH2OH, dunno if its right though.
    The bond angles were all to do with the number of lone pairs that the N and O had, making them 107 for the N and 104.5 for the O one.
    The amino acid thing wasn't too bad for me cos I do biology as well & also did biochem option module, so that was a bit of an unfair question for anyone who didnt do that.
    I think the compound was hexan-1-ol, that was a bit tricky though.
    These may all be wrong though by the way, don't take my word for it! I may have just thought that I understood it and really I've failed!! lol I don't really care though cos exams are now over!!!! Im so happy!

I didn't think it was too bad either. The organic questions were nice and easy, but I agree that the first question was a bugger (Whats the bonding in liquid mercury for gods sake?!!)

I thought the mass spectra thin was okay, quite a few good marks, as well as the Born Harber cycle. But as for that NH2OH question..bloody hell. 17 marks for a complicated inorganic mess. Pants....

Nevermind, lets see what reults day brings... (By the way I also did the Biochem option so those questions bout amino acids were such a joke!)

And the biochem paper itself!! I was waiting for the proper questions to start by the time I'd finished!

Did anyone a different option? Were they hard? You should have done Biochemistry!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.