The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellieee1513
I think I did that one completely wrong too! I didn't quote any figures from the table and all I wrote about was how the DTM didn't fit some less developed countries and why and then at the end I just said that the UK fitted it well :confused:

I think I've completely messed that up as well! I didn't think of referring to any countries/figures on the board and I just wrote generally why it didn't fit LEDCs because it was eurocentric! Will I still get some marks for that?
Reply 981
What was the second question on rivers about???? How water leaves a channel what!!! I wrote about evaporation, abstraction and vegetation storage??
Also, I screwed up on the 6 marker on regional health, didn't have much time. What have the grade boundaries been like before?

I wrote about international migration on the migration one. Scareddddd
Reply 982
Original post by AppleBlossoms
I think I've completely messed that up as well! I didn't think of referring to any countries/figures on the board and I just wrote generally why it didn't fit LEDCs because it was eurocentric! Will I still get some
marks for that?

I screwed up on that as well. I wrote about it being based on western countries and then how the timescales are flexible and that's it. Bet thats like 1 mark.
Do you think the grade boundaries will be as low as last year?
Original post by 09ekennedy
I found the 7 mark question on comment on the dtm question hard!

Likewise. Other than that it was ok
Original post by laur a
What was the second question on rivers about???? How water leaves a channel what!!! I wrote about evaporation, abstraction and vegetation storage??
Also, I screwed up on the 6 marker on regional health, didn't have much time. What have the grade boundaries been like before?

I wrote about international migration on the migration one. Scareddddd

Oh, wow! That's smart! (the rivers one)

I just wrote about evaporation, overflowing of the river (floods) and percolation/assimilation away from the river through the river bed and banks v.v I suppose that I messed up? I can't believe I didn't think about human intervention, damn it.

I also wrote about international migration, even though in the introduction I did mention that migration can also be within the same country, and gave the example of rural-urban migration. But then I discounted internal migration for the rest of the 'essay' :/ Didn't have time
(edited 8 years ago)
I think I've completely messed that up as well! I didn't think of referring to any countries/figures on the board and I just wrote generally why it didn't fit LEDCs because it was eurocentric! Will I still get some marks for that?

Thats what i did too :frown:
I still can't believe I predicted Tobacco TNC'S and it came up!! however I thought the questions were a bit funnily worded but not hard, I felt like I wasn't being tested enough on how much I am a good 'geographer' felt very generic!
Reply 988
Original post by Caius Filimon G
Oh, wow! That's smart! (the rivers one)

I just wrote about evaporation, overflowing of the river (floods) and percolation/assimilation away from the river through the river bed and banks v.v I suppose that I messed up? I can't believe I didn't think about human intervention, damn it.

I also wrote about international migration, even though in the introduction I did mention that migration can also be within the same country, and gave the example of rural-urban migration. But then I discounted internal migration for the rest of the 'essay' :/ Didn't have time

I think i wrote about infiltration into the soil and permeable rocks as well but I can't remember. What you wrote sounds good through for 4 marks.
for the rivers one about how is water lost i put - evaporation , run off into the sea and percolation into deep stores??
Reply 990
what was the paper out of again?
Original post by laur a
I screwed up on that as well. I wrote about it being based on western countries and then how the timescales are flexible and that's it. Bet thats like 1 mark.

Oh well I guess that's 6 marks down the drain! How did you find the rest of the exam? Timing was tricky but I think the rest of the exam went ok - although I found the 15marker in health and rivers harder... Hopefully unit 2 will bring my grade up!
Original post by cole1997
I do all the same topics as you, and here are the prdictions for the 15 markers that my teacher has made. He has a list of all the questions that have come up and charts them. He got the 15 marker for coasts, rivers and health right last year.

Rivers; 'How does the cross sectional area of a river change as it moves downstream?'
Coasts: 'With help from a case study, explain the causes and effects of coastal flooding.'
Population: 'With the help from a case study, explain how migration affects both the host country and the source country."
Health: Not sure exactly what will come up, but he's pretty sure that it's going to be something on TNC's, specifically tobacco.

Hope this helps :smile:

Wow, your teacher is good at predicting.. that came up
Original post by laur a

Reply 994
Oh well I guess that's 6 marks down the drain! How did you find the rest of the exam? Timing was tricky but I think the rest of the exam went ok - although I found the 15marker in health and rivers harder... Hopefully unit 2 will bring my grade up!

do you really think i would have lost 6 marks for that? I'm really not sure how the rest went. Rushed for time at the end and so I wrote a ****ty answer for the tobacco and regional variation ones. What is it out of? I dont know how many marks you are generally allowed to lose to get an A.
Reply 995
Original post by laur a

Original post by SubwayLover1
Thats what i did too :frown:

Hopefully we can still pick up some marks! I wish it hadn't been a 7 marker though :frown:
Reply 997
69 for an A last year. That's 51 marks lost!! 75 the year before, 45 marks lost, hopefully it will be okay.
Am I the only one whi found this paper terrible? Every 15 marker was so specific with little material to talk about. Im normally good at geography but im definately going to have to retake..
Hopefully we can still pick up some marks! I wish it hadn't been a 7 marker though :frown:

I said yes : Universal and easy to apply , flexible

doesnt fit : Eurocentric, doesnt include the role of the government e,g UK increasing birth rate

Thats it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending