thefreakoffreaks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone have some notes (analysis) on Goblin Market?? I would be so grateful!!?
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you're in luck, I tutored a girl last year for Rossetti it's - here you go, hope this helps

Try to use critical vocabulary in your answers e.g. constast, metaphor(ically), irony, structurally etc because it helps to boost your AO1 marks, for example with your opening remark in relation to 'Goblin Market' you said 'In Rossetti's poem 'Goblin Market' the males are portrayed as Goblins.' This is an astute observation but it was also a golden opportunity to integrate some critical vocab, yay! e.g In blahblah... the Goblins are portrayed to be symbolic of males and their influence on women. Also, I would suggest making sure that you have a clear idea of the main "story" in each poem, this will help your answer as you said 'suggesting that they are villains and something bad may happen to the girls', in fact we know something DOES happen to them, they are both affected by the Goblins, for example Rossetti uses vivid imagery to show the violence of the Goblins towards Laura, 'kick'd and knock'd her', the use of the simile 'black as ink' enhances the depiction of the aggression of the Goblins. In fact the actions of the male goblins towards Laura suggests a type of violence similar to rape which creates a feeling of a disgust in the reader towards the 'Goblin men'. Furthermore, Rossetti increases the pace of the poem by shortening the words 'maul'd and mock'd', this augments the tension and presents the goblins and more widely males as ferocious creatures. So to answer the question you don't have to directly use the language in the title (although that's always good practice) just saying they're presented as ferocious or something like that shows the examiner you're answering the question. I liked your point about the animalistic imagery used, you quoted 'like a snail', to use more crit vocab you can identify that it's a simile. Also to answer the question using 'Goblin Market' I would talk about the contrast between the girls and the goblins (men). E.g. Rossetti creates a contrast (crit vocab! ) between Laura and Lizzie and the goblins. Rossetti uses the adjectives 'glossy' and 'golden' to describe Lizzie's hair, this presents her as innocent and beautiful which is in stark contrast to the goblins who are presented as comparatively manipulative and 'sly' through the use of animalistic imagery. So, then you could go on to example the animalistic imagery which you did in your essay, so it's just about expanding your essay a bit and talking about HOW Rossetti presents men as the villains, but I know it was a timed essay so don't worry, it's just practice An AO2 structure point you could mention is about how Rossetti changes the characterisation of Laura and Lizzie at the end of the poem. At the beginning of the poem Rossetti presents the two girls as being relatively independent, they only rely on each other 'crouching close together', however at the end of the poem Rossetti characterises the two girls as being weak after their interaction with the goblin men, Lizzie can no longer function without the fruit of the men, she continually hears the 'fruit-call' which shows she's been corrupted by the male's influence, which presents the goblins and more widely men as manipulative and dangerous. Furthermore, Rossetti refers to the girls as 'maidens' which suggests that the goblins have ruined the girls' virginity since 'maidenhead' was a term used for virginity in the Victorian era, perpetuating the fact that these male goblins are villainous and cruel. Rossetti was a raging feminist i believe so just talk about how men are evil and stuff and you'll get loads of marks haha lol, she does make me laugh!
thefreakoffreaks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
you're in luck, I tutored a girl last year for Rossetti it's - here you go, hope this helps

Try to use critical vocabulary in your answers e.g. constast, metaphor(ically), irony, structurally etc because it helps to boost your AO1 marks, for example with your opening remark in relation to 'Goblin Market' you said 'In Rossetti's poem 'Goblin Market' the males are portrayed as Goblins.' This is an astute observation but it was also a golden opportunity to integrate some critical vocab, yay! e.g In blahblah... the Goblins are portrayed to be symbolic of males and their influence on women. Also, I would suggest making sure that you have a clear idea of the main "story" in each poem, this will help your answer as you said 'suggesting that they are villains and something bad may happen to the girls', in fact we know something DOES happen to them, they are both affected by the Goblins, for example Rossetti uses vivid imagery to show the violence of the Goblins towards Laura, 'kick'd and knock'd her', the use of the simile 'black as ink' enhances the depiction of the aggression of the Goblins. In fact the actions of the male goblins towards Laura suggests a type of violence similar to rape which creates a feeling of a disgust in the reader towards the 'Goblin men'. Furthermore, Rossetti increases the pace of the poem by shortening the words 'maul'd and mock'd', this augments the tension and presents the goblins and more widely males as ferocious creatures. So to answer the question you don't have to directly use the language in the title (although that's always good practice) just saying they're presented as ferocious or something like that shows the examiner you're answering the question. I liked your point about the animalistic imagery used, you quoted 'like a snail', to use more crit vocab you can identify that it's a simile. Also to answer the question using 'Goblin Market' I would talk about the contrast between the girls and the goblins (men). E.g. Rossetti creates a contrast (crit vocab! ) between Laura and Lizzie and the goblins. Rossetti uses the adjectives 'glossy' and 'golden' to describe Lizzie's hair, this presents her as innocent and beautiful which is in stark contrast to the goblins who are presented as comparatively manipulative and 'sly' through the use of animalistic imagery. So, then you could go on to example the animalistic imagery which you did in your essay, so it's just about expanding your essay a bit and talking about HOW Rossetti presents men as the villains, but I know it was a timed essay so don't worry, it's just practice An AO2 structure point you could mention is about how Rossetti changes the characterisation of Laura and Lizzie at the end of the poem. At the beginning of the poem Rossetti presents the two girls as being relatively independent, they only rely on each other 'crouching close together', however at the end of the poem Rossetti characterises the two girls as being weak after their interaction with the goblin men, Lizzie can no longer function without the fruit of the men, she continually hears the 'fruit-call' which shows she's been corrupted by the male's influence, which presents the goblins and more widely men as manipulative and dangerous. Furthermore, Rossetti refers to the girls as 'maidens' which suggests that the goblins have ruined the girls' virginity since 'maidenhead' was a term used for virginity in the Victorian era, perpetuating the fact that these male goblins are villainous and cruel. Rossetti was a raging feminist i believe so just talk about how men are evil and stuff and you'll get loads of marks haha lol, she does make me laugh!
Can I just say how wonderful, amazing and magnificent you are! I would honestly hug you if I could lol. Thank you soo much, you've honestly helped me a lot!!!
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It was no trouble
haannaah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)

Do you have any nots on goblin market from a Marxist perspective? For my coursework my title is “in goblin market humans are seen as ‘objects’ alienated from themselves”
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads