The Student Room Group

Help for future plans!!

HELLO!

First off, sorry about the huge title but I thought it might help with getting your attention and thanks for being kind enough to visit my thread and try and help me out. Anyway on with the thread!

Current Studies

I am currently studying for my GCSEs and I am going to do my exams for these this Summer. I am predicted all A's and A*'s and once I have completed these (hopefully with sufficient grades) I am looking to go on and do Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Chemistry at AS level and then Physics, Maths, and Further Maths / Chemistry at A2 (after dropping either Further Maths or Chemistry).

The Problem

My problem is (and I know I am thinking far ahead but might as well ask) once I have finished my A2 exams, assuming I have passed them with good enough grades to get into a university, I am stuck with what I should choose.

Current Thoughts

My current thoughts are either going with Astrophysics / Cosmology as I love the study of anything to do with space and I am luckily quite gifted in Physics and Maths or I could go with something along the lines of a Computer Security or Ethical Hacking course as I am also quite gifted in Computing and enjoy this too.

I feel that I would enjoy the Astrophysics / Cosmology more as I have a greater interest in that area, however I have done some research and discovered that there are few jobs available for people with degrees and such in this field and that they do not pay particularly well. On the other hand, I still do have an interest in Computing (most likely generated from my dad who works in this field himself) and enjoy it but not as much as the Astrophysics / Cosmology type thing. I have also done some research on this and it appears that in this field there are a huge amount of jobs available, all with high salaries.

What I am currently worrying about is that even if I were to go and get a PhD in Astrophysics / Cosmology I have no idea what it would be like for me job-wise or if I would even have a job! Whereas, although I may not enjoy it as much, if I took a course in Computer Security / Ethical Hacking I would have jobs left, right, and centre.

Thought I'd Throw In Another Heading For The Sake Of It

I would be incredibly grateful of any advice you have to offer, especially if you have been in my situation and gone through with one of either options or have studied either subjects in higher education. Thanks!

P.S. I feel as if I may have babbled slightly but I just wanted to make sure I got the message across!
Original post by MattWA
HELLO!

First off, sorry about the huge title but I thought it might help with getting your attention and thanks for being kind enough to visit my thread and try and help me out. Anyway on with the thread!

Current Studies

I am currently studying for my GCSEs and I am going to do my exams for these this Summer. I am predicted all A's and A*'s and once I have completed these (hopefully with sufficient grades) I am looking to go on and do Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Chemistry at AS level and then Physics, Maths, and Further Maths / Chemistry at A2 (after dropping either Further Maths or Chemistry).

The Problem

My problem is (and I know I am thinking far ahead but might as well ask) once I have finished my A2 exams, assuming I have passed them with good enough grades to get into a university, I am stuck with what I should choose.

Current Thoughts

My current thoughts are either going with Astrophysics / Cosmology as I love the study of anything to do with space and I am luckily quite gifted in Physics and Maths or I could go with something along the lines of a Computer Security or Ethical Hacking course as I am also quite gifted in Computing and enjoy this too.

I feel that I would enjoy the Astrophysics / Cosmology more as I have a greater interest in that area, however I have done some research and discovered that there are few jobs available for people with degrees and such in this field and that they do not pay particularly well. On the other hand, I still do have an interest in Computing (most likely generated from my dad who works in this field himself) and enjoy it but not as much as the Astrophysics / Cosmology type thing. I have also done some research on this and it appears that in this field there are a huge amount of jobs available, all with high salaries.

What I am currently worrying about is that even if I were to go and get a PhD in Astrophysics / Cosmology I have no idea what it would be like for me job-wise or if I would even have a job!

do astrophysics it will lead u to NASA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AsandaLFC
do astrophysics it will lead u to NASA

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish it was that easy but thanks for the idea! Seems like NASA are into that type of thing.
Original post by MattWA
I wish it was that easy but thanks for the idea! Seems like NASA are into that type of thing.

I know someone from my school whose doing it in university of cape Town. His been offered to study there while he gets paid. How cool is that ? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That's awesome!!

Quick Reply

Latest