What grade would you give this?--English Lit As level

Watch this thread
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey! I did a question on Great Gatsby and wondered if anyone could read and give me some comments- maybe a rough grade? Its AQA English Lit B

Question: In the Great Gatsby the lower status characters are presented as crude and vulgar- how far do you agree with this? (21)
ANSWER:
In the “Great Gatsby” the main lower social class characters are presented by Wilson and Myrtle. Through their characters there are elements of vulgarity and crudeness, especially seen by Myrtle’s affair with Tom. Even though through the early parts of the novel Wilson is presented as being a dignified man cares for his wife, his crude murder and suicide goes against this dignified image. However, it can be argued that upper class characters like Tom Buchanan also show vulgarity, even more so than lower class characters, for example when Tom broke Myrtle’s nose showing his lack of self-control and disrespect to women.
Myrtle’s first description has connotations of vulgarity when her affair with Tom becomes apparent. Tom describes her as “my girl” highlighting that Myrtle’s relationship with Tom is not actually a serious, stable one but one which is mainly based on lust, where she is more like a mistress. Her lustfulness is reinforced by her initial description where she’s described as a “ghost….walking through her husband” and she “wet her lips” seeing Tom. This demonstrates how Myrtle who presents a lower class character has no respect for morals such as loyalty or even love, as the not only is her marriage based on lies and deceit but her affair with Tom shows no sign of real love.
Furthermore, Myrtles “wet lips” could also express her vulgarity and crudeness. Myrtle is described through mainly her features, emphasising her sexuality. Myrtle doesn’t want to be known for her who she is as a person but more for how she physically portrays herself. In creating Myrtle’s character Fitzgerald could have been influenced by the new rise of “flappers,” who like Myrtle were young, sexually liberated women.
Initially throughout the novel Wilson is displayed as being dignidied, respectful and obedient towards other such as Tom and Myrtle. However, Fitzgerald contrasts this sharply with his crude murder of Gatsby. He is described “aschen” as he prepares to shoot Gatsby. “Aschen” gives connotations of death and darkness, giving the reader a negative image of Wilson, foreshadowing the vulgar act he is about to commit. After killing Gatsby, Wilson kills himself, emphasising not one but two vulgar acts. This can also suggest to the reader that not only has Wilson committed murder but he is too selfish and coward-like to face the aftermath of his actions.
However, it can be argued that lower social class character are not the only ones that show vulgarity and crudeness, where upper class characters particularly Tom are consistent in showing undignified behaviour. After Myrtle repeatedly shouts “Daisy” Tom “broker her nose with his open hand.” Tom breaking Myrtles nose conveys how his obnoxious and contemptuous side especially as his behaviour came as a quick sudden action. Throughout the novel, despite not paying much attention to Daisy, Tom has never treated Daisy in such a violent way. This could suggest Tom’s attitudes to the lower class, where he doesn’t seem to have respect for them at all, seeing them as a past time who eventually become an inconveniences. However, despite Tom breaking Myrtles nose on face value be considered a cruel act, it can also suggest Tom hearing Daisy’s name evoked a sense of guilt, so Tom could have been showing an element of morality. Therefore, it was in fact Myrtle a lower statues character showing more vulgarity because she clearly showed no sensitivity to Daisy, whose husband she is having an affair with.
hi-zen-berg
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
For a mark out of 21

I'd give it 9+10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
(Original post by hi-zen-berg)
For a mark out of 21

I'd give it 9+10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why
hi-zen-berg
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Why
Dw the phrase "9+10=21" is just this internet/vine joke

I think it's quite solid and would be upwards of 17 - do you think you would be able to produce this in an exam in 30 minutes? If so brilliant.

Remember, last year for English lit, at least AQA english Lit B, it was 58% in end of year exam for an A.

And that grade boundary could even be further lowered depending on how high your coursework scores.

My advice is don't even worry about particular marks you get in essays/test just know your texts well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
Dw the phrase "9+10=21" is just this internet/vine joke

I think it's quite solid and would be upwards of 17 - do you think you would be able to produce this in an exam in 30 minutes? If so brilliant.

Remember, last year for English lit, at least AQA english Lit B, it was 58% in end of year exam for an A.

And that grade boundary could even be further lowered depending on how high your coursework scores.

My advice is don't even worry about particular marks you get in essays/test just know your texts well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously? Thats great! But the reason I put this thread up was I gave this to my teacher and she gave me 12/21. She said I need to comment and focus more on A04 But with my other English lit teacher I get high grades when I more or less use the same structure.

And tanx for the advice, much appreciated!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
U a plagiarism detector will pick this up and you will disqualified for plaigerism.
hi-zen-berg
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Seriously? Thats great! But the reason I put this thread up was I gave this to my teacher and she gave me 12/21. She said I need to comment and focus more on A04 But with my other English lit teacher I get high grades when I more or less use the same structure.

And tanx for the advice, much appreciated!
A04? Perhaps we follow slightly different specs or I am thinking about the wrong question part in the exam 😵

And yes this is true, I'm not promoting complacency by saying "Ahhhh last year 60% would've gotten you an A" just wanted to provide encouragement, since I know my peers and I were used to getting full marks in GCSE and were devastated after receiving the first couple of essays back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
A04? Perhaps we follow slightly different specs or I am thinking about the wrong question part in the exam ������

And yes this is true, I'm not promoting complacency by saying "Ahhhh last year 60% would've gotten you an A" just wanted to provide encouragement, since I know my peers and I were used to getting full marks in GCSE and were devastated after receiving the first couple of essays back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you also do AQA spec B? In the first question ( how does the writer tell the story...") Literally just A02 which I find SO hard. And the part b to the first question is A01,A03 and A04. A04 is context, so whats going on at the time in society
Tj789
Rep:
(Original post by Aph)
U a plagiarism detector will pick this up and you will disqualified for plaigerism.
What its my own work, trust me its not that good that i'll copy it from a website and claim it as mine!
Aph
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
What its my own work, trust me its not that good that i'll copy it from a website and claim it as mine!
Yes but once you put it on here you can't prove that suddenly anyone can copy it and the board won't know if this was really your work so you will be punished for it that's the rules.
Tj789
Rep:
(Original post by Aph)
Yes but once you put it on here you can't prove that suddenly anyone can copy it and the board won't know if this was really your work so you will be punished for it that's the rules.
This is just a practice question mate, accounting to nothing. What do you think of it any how?

Oh and tanx for the concern, appreciated
FreshGarbage
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would give it an A? I studied Gatsby at GCSE so I can relate. I thought the points made were quite sound but rather repetitive and there was more emphasis on vulgarity than crudeness. Also, no mention of Gatsby and Daisy. Gatsby as a character who has gone from low class to high seems quite relevant, do you get the impression of his character changing as he changes class or is it all about 'new' money vs 'old' money? Is daisy not more of a prize to him? Maybe he isn't such a hopeless romantic?
It's been a while since I took English but I do remember studying Gatsby. Never read the book the whole way through but did manage an A*.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
This is just a practice question mate, accounting to nothing. What do you think of it any how?

Oh and tanx for the concern, appreciated
So you aren't actually submitting this to the exam board??? Ok. And I don't study English (hate the subject) so I can't comment.
Tj789
Rep:
BUMP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads