Do I need to read a lot to get an A in english Lit?

Watch
_Aqsxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
izzyll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want a good grade, it's reccomended that you read a lot. I think around 5 books would be he minimum, with at least 3 plays/dramas and lots of poems. You need a wide range of quotes that you can bring into your exams, and by reading a variety of books on a variety of topics it means that whatever theme the exam extracts happen to be on, you'll be covered with your quotes, :-)
underestimate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My English Lit teacher tells us 'you cant read the set text too many times' so I would advise to just keep reading your exam books and taking notes on them.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not necessarily. I only read the first couple of chapters of one of my texts and still got an A
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
Not necessarily. I only read the first couple of chapters of one of my texts and still got an A
This gives me hope
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jalal Uddin)
This gives me hope
Haha I'm glad! honestly, as long as you know the plot and memorise some quotes, you're fine
Lularose83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh darn this isn't for gcse. Sorry, please ignore my other post, I don't even do AS eng lit 😳
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it depends at least partially on your exam board - I do AQA B (Victorian Literature) for AS, and one of the exam questions is based on context, and extract and linking it to wider reading (in prose, poetry and drama). So if I didn't do any wider reading, I would do really badly in half of the exam. If wider reading isn't a completely necessary aspect of the course, you might get away with not doing it, however if you don't like reading then English Literature probably isn't the best subject for you.
_Aqsxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
I think it depends at least partially on your exam board - I do AQA B (Victorian Literature) for AS, and one of the exam questions is based on context, and extract and linking it to wider reading (in prose, poetry and drama). So if I didn't do any wider reading, I would do really badly in half of the exam. If wider reading isn't a completely necessary aspect of the course, you might get away with not doing it, however if you don't like reading then English Literature probably isn't the best subject for you.
I do english literature B but i wasn't aware that one of the questions is based on context? I know that context is AO4 for one question along with other AOS
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _Aqsxo)
I do english literature B but i wasn't aware that one of the questions is based on context? I know that context is AO4 for one question along with other AOS
Sorry - I meant AQA A! I do AQA B for English language so I accidentally put the wrong one
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope. As above, I didn't read any of the plays we were studying. Now, for most people reading a lot is good advice both for the qualification and life in general.
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Memorised a load of quotes and a few ideas in terms of themes, i.e. the transgressive female, violence etc. I got an A in my coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by RK; 11 months ago
ThePhoenixLament
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just read the exam texts- I didn't do any wider reading. Our board puts emphasis on critics quotes and context, all of which I found in revision guides and online anyway very easily. You don't get tested on how many times you read the book- it's how well you understood the themes within it (and can see different interpretations and argue for and against it).
_Aqsxo
Rep:
?
Thanks that's really helpful! So how much would you say you revised for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest, you can end up with an A for writing eloquent nonsense. I still have my A level coursework and it is truly awful yet still received a mark above 90%.
_Aqsxo
Rep:
?
Really? I thought if you went off on a tangent, you don't get many marks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
молодой гений
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _Aqsxo)
Really? I thought if you went off on a tangent, you don't get many marks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well like, it has to be relevant bull****, but it can still be bull****.

Our teacher showed us some pieces of coursework that got full UMS and I swear to God, none of them made any sense. The punctuation was all over the place and they used so many fancy words and, well...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads