Collegiate Accommodation Watch

iliketurtles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Our collegiate system fails completely with regard to the standard of accommodation imo. Just take a look at this, www.opalcourt-liverpool.com

• Full leisure club
  • Indoor heated swimming pool
  • Fully equipped gymnasium & weights room
  • Steam room, sauna, and jacuzzi
  • Full contents insurance, including insurance in relation to individual's personal possessions
  • On Site Launderette
  • Secure underground parking
  • Double Beds
  • ...the list goes on

Even our new buildings, such as Josephine Butler and Brooks House, are nothing compared to this.

...and the worst thing? They pay less than we do. Perhaps I wouldn't be so bitter if the ridiculous Brooks House VAT mistake didn't happen. How exactly can someone 'forget' to include VAT in the cost of a major building project, meaning that loads of stuff that was planned has to be scrapped (computer room, better laundry, new gym, etc).

argh.

</rant over>

Alex
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You should live in Christopher in Hild Bede.

[We have a room we term "The Euthanasia Parlour". That's it.]
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That doesn't appear to be university owned though. It would just be like living out in one of the £75 a week apartments in Durham...which you're more than welcome to do if college isn't up to your standards.
iliketurtles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
That doesn't appear to be university owned though. It would just be like living out in one of the £75 a week apartments in Durham...which you're more than welcome to do if college isn't up to your standards.
They don't have swimming pools though do they
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, but nor are they primarily owned by companies wose sole objective is getting money out of students. This can lead to Bad Things (see the Unite student accomodation fiasco earlier this year)
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't want a swimming pool in my college - I'd never get any work done!
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
personally i'd rather live in my quirky little college with it's random staircases to nowhere and impossible maze-like corridors which is completely individual and personalityful with lots of lovely people who work here to chat to than some massive soulless building with no personality whatsoever.
yeah it might be quite cool to have a double bed but i dont think it would make my time at uni any more special.
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ps: My current halls of residence has a swimming pool, whoop de do.
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What annoys me is that, because the block I'm in is to be renovated over the summer, they're not willing to do anything with it! I have a mahoosive crack in my window (and it's quite sharp) and I told them right at the beginning of term but they haven't done anything. When I went to remind them at reception, I also mentioned that I don't have a mirror in my room whilst everyone else on my floor does (there are brackets on my wardrobe door but no mirror) and the receptionist said, "yes, but it'll be refurbished over the summer, so I don't think we'll be able to get you a mirror." Wtf? I'm pretty damn annoyed about that.
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
What annoys me is that, because the block I'm in is to be renovated over the summer, they're not willing to do anything with it! I have a mahoosive crack in my window (and it's quite sharp) and I told them right at the beginning of term but they haven't done anything. When I went to remind them at reception, I also mentioned that I don't have a mirror in my room whilst everyone else on my floor does (there are brackets on my wardrobe door but no mirror) and the receptionist said, "yes, but it'll be refurbished over the summer, so I don't think we'll be able to get you a mirror." Wtf? I'm pretty damn annoyed about that.
Keep complaining, just keep on doing it. Demand to see the bursar or the college principal. You've paid your rent, you should have the window repaired (so you don't injure yourself mainly!!) and a mirror.
I promise if you just keep harassing them you'll get somewhere. Don't give in!!
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
aww that's crap. my bro is in the same situation at lancaster. he's in the oldest crappest accommodation, but it's being refurbished next year so they're doing nothing to it. he has broken showers and dodgy curtains etc. tis ridiculous!
Teehar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Becca)
Keep complaining, just keep on doing it. Demand to see the bursar or the college principal. You've paid your rent, you should have the window repaired (so you don't injure yourself mainly!!) and a mirror.
I promise if you just keep harassing them you'll get somewhere. Don't give in!!
Befriending the porters is usually the easiest way to get things done, rather than complaining.....
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 6+6=6)
Befriending the porters is usually the easiest way to get things done, rather than complaining.....
Well, they have to be given a mirror and the equipment to fix the glass and stuff so I was thinking of complaining to the bursar rather than the porters. The bursar's the one with the money after all.
Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you accidentally smashed the window, they'd have to replace it, wouldn't they?
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mattmoy_2000)
If you accidentally smashed the window, they'd have to replace it, wouldn't they?
yeah and charge you for it
eggman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i found that accomodation isn't really that exciting, and expensive too. But the bursaries and durham being quite small still makes it my first choice.

Anyone have a list at hand of facilities available to students e.g. swimming, badminton etc?
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aww that's crap. my bro is in the same situation at lancaster. he's in the oldest crappest accommodation
And that's pretty old and crappy (I've been there).

Anyone have a list at hand of facilities available to students e.g. swimming, badminton etc?
Do you mean in college or just generally?
NeilD
Report 12 years ago
Some of us live in Grade II Listed buildings, next to a World Heritage site; that is pretty awesome.

- Neil
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NeilD)
Some of us live in Grade II Listed buildings, next to a World Heritage site; that is pretty awesome.

- Neil
true 'nuff
Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some of us live* in a world heritage site; that too is pretty awesome.

*I just don't sleep there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads