william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Whenever their is a poll or debate about the greatest general in British history people always say Wellington. No doubt he was an excellent commander, but he did nothing compared to John Churchill.

John Churchill is and should be regarded as the great British military commander, yes better than Nelson. He is the greatest military commander of the 1700's. He used technology and geography to his advantage like nobody before him. He crushed the French. Why isn't he regarded more highly within Britain?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because nobody knows who john churchill is.

Military historians know the Duke of Marlborough and acknowledge his achievements.
Angry Spartan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about Cromwell? He had no military experience until the Civil War, and by it's end he had subjugated Scotland, started the conquest of Ireland, and crushed the royalist armies. The battles of Preston, Dunbar and Worcester all show the skill that he had in leading armies.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angry Spartan)
What about Cromwell? He had no military experience until the Civil War, and by it's end he had subjugated Scotland, started the conquest of Ireland, and crushed the royalist armies. The battles of Preston, Dunbar and Worcester all show the skill that he had in leading armies.
He murdered his own people and enforce Puritan rule. He had to subjugate Scotland and Ireland because they has moving against his Puritanism. Compare this to the victories of John Churchill over the largest armies in Europe. Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde.
Angry Spartan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
He murdered his own people and enforce Puritan rule. He had to subjugate Scotland and Ireland because they has moving against his Puritanism.
What has any of that got to do with his ability as a military commander?
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angry Spartan)
What has any of that got to do with his ability as a military commander?
Nothing really. I just hate Oliver Cromwell, me being a High Tory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads