The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Japanese at Brookes?

Hi,
Since Brookes is one of my first choices, I wanted to know how it is to study japanese there.
Are there good teachers? And the course and the modules are good? How many hours per week do you do?
Reply 1
Anyone?? Please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Reply 3
I'm not a student studying there at the moment, but I also applied to the Japanese studies course this year and will hopefully be studying as an associate student (I've been out of education for a couple of years so I'm doing this with the hope of getting onto the full course in 2016).

I've been to a couple of open days at Brookes, and the Japanese Studies tutors that I spoke/listened to all seem very passionate about the subject - a lot of them are native Japanese speakers and as a department they have a fair few published works between them. There is a large Japanese Society at the University which has a large number of members and is meant to be very good, and there are also optional evening talks/meetings with external speakers who are prominent in the field.

You've probably already looked at this, but just in case, their website goes into a fair amount of detail about the modules:
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/courses/undergraduate/2015/japanese-studies/

I know a couple of people through friends who have done the course and they really enjoyed it, particularly the year of study in Japan. The Headington campus where it is taught has recently been modernised and is very nice - it also has a great library with a fair amount of subject specific texts.

I'm really sorry if this hasn't been helpful at all, I know you were hoping to have a reply from a current/past student, but I thought I'd give you the information I had anyway just in case you hadn't been able to visit and talk to people at Oxford Brookes, as any reply is usually better than none! :smile:
Woo, finally another person studying Japanese Studies this fall!

I have a friend currently doing Japanese studies, and she's very satisfied with the course. According to her the teachers are great and passionate about their lessons, even though there's a lot of coursework.

I think Japanese Studies will be awesome :3
I am a Japanese student who currently studies in OBU:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending