The Student Room Group

question about lasers

I have a Ti:s-smilie:apphire 800nm wavelength mode-locked laser, and it is being being pumped by a 532nm laser. What happens to the pump energy that is not transmitted as laser light.

I have understand how modelock lasers work in that they lock the cavity modes to specific phase values so that the constructive interference creates pulses. The question I'm on mentions that only 70% of the pumped photons are absorbed by the Ti:sapphire, and that there is a 60% quantum efficiency (60% of the absorbed photons generate laser photons).

This tells me that 40% of the absorbed photons are not transmitted as laser light, but then I don't know what happens to them. I know that in passive modelock lasers, there is a saturable absorber which absorbs low intensity light, but then the question doesn't mention the Ti:s-smilie:apphire modelock laser being passive

My main guess is that the energy needs to go or be somewhere, so it may still be stuck in the atoms of the laser medium (as an excited state which hasn't de-excited yet to emit a photon).

Since this is about where the pump energy goes (and not absorbed pump energy), another possibility is it being in the form of light that has left the optical cavity (not in the usual way of bouncing through the mirrors and eventually being passed through the partially reflective mirror). Also, since it is pump energy, it may still be bouncing back and forth between the mirrors till it excites an atom in the laser medium
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest