MadsonK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I am in Year 11 and I have to decide on the a levels that I want to take. So far I have got maths, chemistry and Biology.
I was unsure about the fourth either physics or geography. I have heard that physics is really hard so I was wondering what the pros and cons of Geography a level were?
Thanks for the help!
TheGreatImposter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do geography and it's not too much harder content wise to GCSE

I do AQA and I have four topics: coasts, rivers, population and health and it's okay so far but you have to memorise all the formations on the physical side and the there's a lot to write in your exam paper in a short period of time.

I was indifferent to geography when I picked it. I got an A for GCSE and thought why not and it's a nice contrast from biology and chemistry which I also do

Posted from TSR Mobile
LWL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!

I'm in year 12 and take relatively similar subjects to the ones you want to do - Bio, Chem, Psychology and Geography.
My exam board is Edexcel and overall its okay. The main pros of the subject for Edexcel is that the content is minimal in comparison to other subjects (especially biology), the difficulty lies in remembering case studies which becomes quite easy if case studies are applicable to multiple parts of the specification. Also, grade boundaries tend to be quite low, for instance paper 1 is 60 out of 90 for an A - only 66.6%! to add to this, some questions are multiple choice that are pretty easy!

What I dislike about it though is how vague it is for an A-Level, there are only a few compulsory case studies and the rest the teachers choose and the detail tends to lack... I also dislike the fact that all revision guides I have tell me different things so I'm really confused as to what I'm supposed to do!

Despite that, I enjoy the content for the most part - in my school, one teacher does human geog and the other does physical and this prevents confusion. We also have a four day field work project coming up and it can be used for the second exam. My favourite topic though would have to be climate change...

I would say talk to geography teachers and find out the content for your exam board... see if it interests you and try and evaluate whether you would be motivated to study it. But the good thing is, geography does suit ALL of your other chosen subjects, you will find connections whatever the exam board - especially with maths, it is a good set up for degrees such as Earth sciences or Natural sciences which are greatly appreciated.

hope this helps!
Fangorn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really enjoyed GCSE geography so im

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fangorn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Opps didn't mean to send that. Anyway continued- doing it for it this year. I started off by quite enjoying it but have been liking it less and less as the year continues. The course is very similar to the one i did for GCSEs and i have found that almost every lesson involves copying out of a text book which isn't the most interesting. Also i have found that the course is largely a memory test of how well you can learn a load of fact which is extremely time consuming and there isn't much logic is just seems like you are doing a memory test (with some exam technique). However other people have been enjoying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophR96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do Geography A level (along with maths and history) and Geography is my favourite by far! (I'm doing it at uni next year, so it should be my favourite really). I'm on OCR and I find there's a good mix of physical and human at AS, probably more human at A2 but still physical elements to it such as volcanoes/floods/earthquakes/rivers which everyone enjoys. Would definitely recommend Geography. It's a lot of case studies to learn but that's pretty much there is to it, along with a bit of theory, but probably less than you need for science. The only thing that annoys me is that there's so much to learn compared to how much you write about in the exam. You'll learn loads of case studies but only get to write about 20% of them in the exam, you just have to know the rest incase a question on that topic comes up. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok let me shed a bit of light/truth on this.

We use edexcel, I am doing geog for AS

Pros:
- Some of the content interesting
- Lessons not brain intensive at all (unlike maths/phys/etc) - this subject requires no "thinking" skills
- It's a facilitating subject (somehow)

Cons:
- The Qs are vague. Very vague. I don't want to answer a question "Describe the distribution of geophysical hazards around the world" (15 marks) I just don't.
- A lot of it is common sense and as such the difficulty is in the exam style which is, frankly, appalling.
- It wont lead you anywhere on its own - there are very little courses that require it and geography graduates have very high unemployment rates.

It is not a difficult subject by any stretch of the imagination but you do need to learn (memorise) a wide range of facts and apply them to the exam Qs. Thing is I havn't "got into" this course at all and am just finding it a pain and as such despite getting A* GCSE I am on a steady E/U but I have no doubt that if I bother to actually revise it (which will take some motivation) all I have to do to get a B/A is learn all the facts well and get good at the exam Qs, but I would much rather spend my time getting good grades in useful subjects. This subject feels and, frankly, is useless to me.

TL;DR Don't do it unless you have at least 2 other subjects that will lead you places e.g maths, sciences, w.e
Rubato
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I too do edexcel geography and I agree with how vague the questions are. There also isn't much to learn concept wise just a bunch of case studies you may not even end up using in your exam. Aside from the world at risk topic it's also pretty boring and it's my least fav. out of my subjects and I'm probably going to drop it even though I was planning on dropping maths.
Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tbh it is soooooooo uselesssssssss
SophR96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick2810)
Ok let me shed a bit of light/truth on this.

We use edexcel, I am doing geog for AS

Pros:
- Some of the content interesting
- Lessons not brain intensive at all (unlike maths/phys/etc) - this subject requires no "thinking" skills
- It's a facilitating subject (somehow)

Cons:
- The Qs are vague. Very vague. I don't want to answer a question "Describe the distribution of geophysical hazards around the world" (15 marks) I just don't.
- A lot of it is common sense and as such the difficulty is in the exam style which is, frankly, appalling.
- It wont lead you anywhere on its own - there are very little courses that require it and geography graduates have very high unemployment rates.

Actually, Geography graduates have a good chance of being employed. As their degree doesn't lead directly into a specific job, unlike dentistry, for example, so the jobs available to them are much wider and more varied. The jobs may not necessarily be directly linked to a geography degree but employers like geography graduates as they have a wide range of skills including research, IT skills, fieldwork skills etc. Some figures suggest that geography graduates do have a high level of unemployment, mainly in studies where it's "within six months of graduating", as many geography graduates go travelling, for example, before settling down to a job. Geography graduates are considered to be highly employable; just because it doesnt lead directly into a job, doesn't mean you won't get one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
chelseaclark1612
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really enjoy doing AS level geography. it looks good for university applications because it is a Russell group subject.
Its challenging but will be worthwhile in the end!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads