The Student Room Group

Ask a medical student questions you feel you can't ask about Medicine

Hi there

I am a fifth year medical student studying at Peninsula medical school (now split into Exeter and Plymouth medical schools).

I am an undergraduate, I applied straight from sixth form and will be starting work as an F1 in August.

If you would like to pick my brain about studying Medicine I am happy to answer any questions you might have. If you have a question that you feel is silly or embarrassing then this is the place to ask it, I am not going to judge you because of it.

All the best

Fishcotheque
Just curious, when you graduate are you going to get a Peninsula degree or can you choose between a Exeter or Plymouth degree?
Reply 2
What and how much work experience did you do?
How were your A-levels and GCSE's?
What is the workload like ? Do you have enough time for a social life?
What extra-curricular activities do you do at Uni?
What is Exeter/Plymouth Uni like?
What would you say is the best and worst thing about medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you rather have 5 hours of intense embryology teaching per day or carry a DRE bleep?

Very important question that :holmes:
Reply 4
Original post by Fishcotheque
Hi there

I am a fifth year medical student studying at Peninsula medical school (now split into Exeter and Plymouth medical schools).

I am an undergraduate, I applied straight from sixth form and will be starting work as an F1 in August.

If you would like to pick my brain about studying Medicine I am happy to answer any questions you might have. If you have a question that you feel is silly or embarrassing then this is the place to ask it, I am not going to judge you because of it.

All the best

Fishcotheque

Why is this thread the place to ask rather than the entire forum dedicated to those topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hamilh
What and how much work experience did you do?
How were your A-levels and GCSE's?
What is the workload like ? Do you have enough time for a social life?
What extra-curricular activities do you do at Uni?
What is Exeter/Plymouth Uni like?
What would you say is the best and worst thing about medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Hamilh, good questions.

My work experience was not too extensive. I did an evening a week volunteering at a local hospital for nine months, I had a week shadowing at a general practice, but those are the only two things you could count as work experience.

A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, History all As, Physics B. All were sat to A2.
GCSEs: 6 A*s, 5As and a B.

The workload varies depending on the year you are in. I would say it is completely manageable throughout the course but you have to be more organised depending on the year. For the vast majority of the course I would say I studied every other day with roughly 2 hours of work per session, and I am a fairly middling student. There is plenty of time for a social life, the idea that medics only work and that the course is all consuming is not accurate, the medics I know find time for other things just like all other students. Basically if you want to have a social life you can have one very easily.

I do some teaching for the younger years and am involved developing the careers service for medical school. Otherwise I play football for some societies.

I have been based mostly in Exeter so I can't really say for Plymouth, but Exeter as a city is lovely and the main campus is very pretty. One point to make though is that medics stay on a different campus in a different part of the city so if you want to get involved on main campus you have to really try. Medics accommodation is near their campus which is also used by the sports scientists, so other than them you don't see other students that often. Also bear in mind that Exeter medics spend two years in Truro, Cornwall, it's further away than you think.

Best thing about medical school: very privileged position to be in as a medical student, patients tell you things they won't tell other people and you get to experience so many different areas of Medicine. It's very humbling and gives you great perspective for life.

Worst thing: Placement organisation is very varied, sometimes you turn up for placements and no one is expecting you. This lack of direction is what I dislike the most. Also, some medics have a sense of superiority compared to other students and healthcare professionals, this is demonstrated by their attitude towards the nursing staff, PTs, OTs etc... I very very much dislike this attitude.
Reply 6
Original post by Okorange
Just curious, when you graduate are you going to get a Peninsula degree or can you choose between a Exeter or Plymouth degree?

You get a Peninsula degree but you graduate in Exeter from this year onwards due to university politics.
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
Why is this thread the place to ask rather than the entire forum dedicated to those topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apologies, I didn't mean to give the impression that I have special knowledge that others do not have, I was just trying to say that I don't mind what questions people want to ask. I remember when I was applying there were questions I wanted to ask but felt like I couldn't, my introduction was my way of trying remove those worries if anyone had them. I am just trying to be helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending