The Student Room Group

What if I'm never happy?

I have had some time to evaluate on my life and my life choices recently, I have come to the conclusion I am not happy and won't be until after university, having got my degree and then have a year hopefully to travel and escape for a while. But I feel that once that year/years(maybe,hopefully) are over I will return to England, get a job that my degree 'promised' me and live a dull life until I can afford to leave the country again.

I am just promising myself a dull life with the choices I am making but I feel like they are the right choices, if you understand what I mean. I worry if I will ever be truly happy...what if travelling doesn't make me happy? what if nothing ever does? does anyone understand where I am coming from?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
.?

What made you come to that conclusion? I feel the same, I just try my hardest not to think about the future too much:smile:
Reply 2
Should I bring up the issue of suicide / euthanasia in this thread, or a bit OTT right now?
Original post by Groot
Should I bring up the issue of suicide / euthanasia in this thread, or a bit OTT right now?

No no nothing like that! just I don't know the point in life....I just wish I could go into the future and see what I'm doing and comeback and adjust it...
Reply 4
No no nothing like that! just I don't know the point in life....I just wish I could go into the future and see what I'm doing and comeback and adjust it...

Life is an unfolding story. Don't ruin your story by skipping to the end, like the end of a film, and then returning nearer the beginning. Have hope. :h:
If you cannot change it then forget it - drink.
Original post by Justme:-)
What made you come to that conclusion? I feel the same, I just try my hardest not to think about the future too much:smile:

I don't know, having too much time to think maybe! I know but I find it so hard not to think about it, life is so dull at the moment so thinking about this amazing/unachievable future can make anyone happy.
Original post by Groot
Life is an unfolding story. Don't ruin your story by skipping to the end, like the end of a film, and then returning nearer the beginning. Have hope. :h:

I always do skip to the end of books and read the last pages :smile: I guess patience isn't strong point! also over analysing things! I just hope it unfolds well :smile:
Original post by ByronicHero

Bring it on! :tongue:
Bring it on! :tongue:

I've only got half a bottle of whiskey left - definitely not enough to share :nope:
Reply 10
I always do skip to the end of books and read the last pages :smile: I guess patience isn't strong point! also over analysing things! I just hope it unfolds well :smile:

OMG what's wrong with you! :mad::mad::mad:
Original post by ByronicHero

[video="youtube;hUVwR0rw5fk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk[/video]
Original post by Groot
OMG what's wrong with you! :mad::mad::mad:

I get WAY to excited!! Plus if the ending is good, it makes me want to find out about what happened in the middle!:biggrin:
Reply 13
I get WAY to excited!! Plus if the ending is good, it makes me want to find out about what happened in the middle!:biggrin:

I would never watch a movie with someone like you. You'd probably ruin it for me.
Original post by Groot
I would never watch a movie with someone like you. You'd probably ruin it for me.

It really depends, if the movie is terrible I may accidentally blurt it out, but you will thank me for it later because at least the movie didn't waste your time! but if its an amazing movie, my lips are sealed! For example I just watched Gone girl! OH MY LORD,THAT WAS AN AMAZING FILM!
I know this is a really old post, but I just wanted to comment something as I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this.

Firstly, happiness isn't a constant state of being. People seem to often think things like, "Once I finally finish this course and get a job, I'll be happy," or "When I finally meet the one, I'll be happy." Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Thinking this way will leave you feeling disillusioned because, although you may feel a fleeting sense of contentment, it won't be permanent enough to last. With that being said, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing - it's just how things are.

It's quite sad how much of our lives we are wishing away. It's like wishing for the week to end to get to the weekend or wishing for a course to be over and done with to get that certificate. I know we all want the end results of the things we do, but the process of doing it is usually the larger part of life itself.

There are many quotes and sayings about life out there, but one that kind of stuck with me was something along the lines of, "Life isn't one long story, it's a collection of poems." I think it's more about perspective. We often view big moments or milestones as indicators of being successful or progressing in life, but we should be holding those smaller moments in higher regard. They're our moments of happiness and we don't even realise it. For example, for me, I never felt 'happy' on my graduation day which is often seen as a big event as it signifies the end of education (for some people). Looking back, my happiness lives in those moments like laughing at silly inside jokes with my friends, those late nights studying at the library together, reading a comment written by my tutor who said they enjoed reading an assignment I worked so hard on, etc. Those tiny moments where life was just happening was my happiness and I didn't know it at the time until I really thought about it.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't put so much weight on things that are typically considered to grant us happiness. We're creating beautiful short poems here that can be just as wonderful and touching as longer stories. Living is just having moments here and there.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending