The Student Room Group

Would I face alot of issues if I trained as a midwife, I am 22 and male...

I currently train and work with children from 0-5 and i feel i get alot of extra difficulties being male, but I really enjoy working with children and feel the anxiety of being male stopping me from applying for midwifery :frown:
Honest opinions?
(any unneccessary nasty comments will be reported)
No. As long as you have the qualities and drive to be a midwife and understand fully what the job entails, you can do it! However, as a midwife, you role is to be 'with woman' as the name suggests, so while enjoying working with children and babies is a wonderful thing (and suggests you are patient, caring and trustworthy - all traits also needed to make a great midwife), you passion should lie in caring for women and empowering them through their pregnancy and for a short time after.
Also, watch The Midwives season 2 episode 8! :wink: In fact, watch all of the ones available on youtube.
Original post by trifleontoast
I currently train and work with children from 0-5 and i feel i get alot of extra difficulties being male, but I really enjoy working with children and feel the anxiety of being male stopping me from applying for midwifery :frown:
Honest opinions?
(any unneccessary nasty comments will be reported)

I think the main problem you would face as male midwife is the gender struggle with women's preferences.

There are going to be people who would prefer a female midwife over a male midwife due to their beliefs and how comfortable they feel.

Some men would feel upset if a male midwife was touching their woman etc.

However, not everybody will think of you in a negative way. There are families that will allow a male midwife to be in charge of their care and monitoring the baby.

You shouldn't let barriers stop you from achieving your dream as a midwife. Go for it!!! If you're still in doubt, talk to your friends and family. Alternatively, you could do child nursing as well.

All the best!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending