Those Bratz dolls and their weird stereotyped 'beauty' - makeover time!

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Bratz dolls. Loved them as a kid? Or not bothered?

Some people say they give a very stereotyped view of what is beautiful to young girls. Here is a brilliant reworking of the concept. Please, please watch the video to the end, it made me cry. :cry2: In a happy way.

So many different ways for girls to see themselves and how they can be. The beauty industry sells a false version of reality, where the only attention we can seek is sexual attention.

http://treechangedolls.tumblr.com/
http://www.refinery29.com/2015/01/81...olls-makeunder
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I had a daughter I would not be happy with her playing with the before dolls. They look hideous. So much makeup and huge BJ lips. Definitely not a good role model for little girls.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
If I had a daughter I would not be happy with her playing with the before dolls. They look hideous. So much makeup and huge BJ lips. Definitely not a good role model for little girls.
Agreed.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
TBH, I think Bratz are disgustingly sexualised, it's almost like the corporation that makes them is working to some sort of agenda to force premature ageing onto young children. The only reason I can think of why that would be desirable to the multinationals is that it then leaves them exposed and vulnerable to the tidal wave of beauty and sexualising products.
leah.stewartt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have recently covered this topic in an essay. Stereotypical body shapes are starting to become more of a raised issue as not everyone has a waist like a Barbie doll and infact no one can as it is humanly impossible. I had looked up statistics on this and it showed that 2 out of 8 girls aged 10 and under said that they thought they were 'fat' and wanted to go on a diet. This is shaping our generation to accept a 'beautiful' body shape which is, not just humanly impossible, but also a risk to children's health if they feel like they have to go on a diet to look try and fit into the category of 'beautiful'. In my opinion this is an issue that should be tackled as more and more children are feeling insecure about themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by leah.stewartt)
I have recently covered this topic in an essay. Stereotypical body shapes are starting to become more of a raised issue as not everyone has a waist like a Barbie doll and infact no one can as it is humanly impossible. I had looked up statistics on this and it showed that 2 out of 8 girls aged 10 and under said that they thought they were 'fat' and wanted to go on a diet. This is shaping our generation to accept a 'beautiful' body shape which is, not just humanly impossible, but also a risk to children's health if they feel like they have to go on a diet to look try and fit into the category of 'beautiful'. In my opinion this is an issue that should be tackled as more and more children are feeling insecure about themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your essay sounds great.

What I love about the dolls in the video is the way it almost seems that there's a 'real girl', who is lovely, underneath all the makeup and fake beauty and that girl wants to have adventures, fun and love but on her terms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads