Identifying monomers?

Watch
User947387
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am stuck on question 25.

I thought that polymers were simply monomers repeated; i.e. single units repeated and replicated in a chain.

With that in mind, I attempted to break down the monomers, and failed; miserably.

I tried to take each of the given answers then try and work them out; i.e. apply them to the question counting the hydrogens and carbons but that didnt work either for me.

Can anyone give me a general idea as to how to identify monomers; is there some technique?
Attached files
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by apronedsamurai)
I am stuck on question 25.

I thought that polymers were simply monomers repeated; i.e. single units repeated and replicated in a chain.

With that in mind, I attempted to break down the monomers, and failed; miserably.

I tried to take each of the given answers then try and work them out; i.e. apply them to the question counting the hydrogens and carbons but that didnt work either for me.

Can anyone give me a general idea as to how to identify monomers; is there some technique?
The issue here is that there are two monomers (co-polymers).

Inspection of the side chains shows that there are three consecutive methyl groups at one point. This says that there MUST be a but-2-ene involved.

.. take it from there...
User947387
Rep:
I have drawn out the formulas in full, operating on your assertion of but-2-ene being involved. However, the remaining four; I keep identifiyng as being 2,3 dimethylbutane :s

Obviously thats wrong....but I don't how/why I am getting it wrong
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I have drawn out the formulas in full, operating on your assertion of but-2-ene being involved. However, the remaining four; I keep identifiyng as being 2,3 dimethylbutane :s

Obviously thats wrong....but I don't how/why I am getting it wrong
both co-polymers must be alkenes!

There are no sets of three carbons in the chain without branches ... that eliminates ethene...
User947387
Rep:
Im so sorry.

I still dont understand. Earlier, you stated that there was three consecutive methyl groups, that means that there must be but-2-ene.

However; my understanding was that but-2-ene had C4 H8

I have drawn out the full structural formula of the monomer from the left hand side; including the branches of the methyls. I understand now that it is butene because of the presence of 4 carbons (even including the branches) but when I go to name the compound, as drawn from the information from the question I get 1,2,3 Trimethyl butane....

I KNOW that it "must" be an alkene (therefore butene) because the question does not include alkanes, but where is this descrpancy coming from?

Edit: Polymers; whether condensation polymers or polyamides MUST contain two functional groups. Is that why alkanes are excluded entirely; the alkenes are unsaturated and by virtue of their double bond, are capable of being polymerised?
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I may be wrong but if it was but-1-ene you'd have ethyl groups which you don't
sytner9
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
But-2-ene an propene. Just take two carbon chuncks and you'll see that there's two different repeating units. (The two carbons in the two carbon chunks are in the backbone of the polymer by the way) This makes it easier.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I have drawn out the full structural formula of the monomer from the left hand side; including the branches of the methyls. I understand now that it is butene because of the presence of 4 carbons (even including the branches) but when I go to name the compound, as drawn from the information from the question I get 1,2,3 Trimethyl butane....
I could be misunderstanding things completely but just in case this is what you're thinking 1,2,3-trimethylbutane is the repeat unit, made of two monomers
RachelLJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What's the answer in the marking scheme? And is this SQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefulmedic15
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sytner9)
But-2-ene an propene. Just take two carbon chuncks and you'll see that there's two different repeating units. (The two carbons in the two carbon chunks are in the backbone of the polymer by the way) This makes it easier.
They're right, it's but-2-ene and propene.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User947387
Rep:
Yes it is SQA (its from a past paper) and the answer is specified as but-1-ene and propene
RachelLJ
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hmmmm I'm doing higher this year and I can't get anything but but-2-ene and propene. The answers might be wrong, but I think it's probably just best if you ask your teacher when you're next at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User947387
Rep:
Sorry! I meant but-2-ene. Was looking at different question
RachelLJ
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's okay. You just have to try and see how the H atoms at the end of the monomers have been cut off. But I think you should probably just ask your teacher because it's hard to explain on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
User947387
Rep:
especially explaining it to a moron like me Thanks guys for not talking down to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads