The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends on whether Arabic is spoken at home in your family or not tbh.

If you learnt yourself, or were taught outside, but not speaking it at home then it's impressive.

If not, then less so.
I like the fact that people can speak more than two languages regardless whether you taught yourself or it's a family language.
Language is the key to successful business, apparently
I speak English and Arabic (fus7a) along with a few other languages
But I was taught Arabic in school so I don't think it's too impressive
In this country you're doing better than most if you can speak 2. In most of Europe it wouldn't be unusual though :smile:
I speak English and Bulgarian and english people seem so amazed that someone can speak 2 languages and still speak English without a foreign accent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
colour me impressed
I speak English and 2 more languages fluently + 2 more conversational (learning). I'm kinda proud of that. Some people are impressed, some people couldn't give a ***
Original post by EdCohen
Just wondering what general views are on this question.

I'm 18 and can speak English and Arabic fluently. I also understand a lot of ancient arabic poetry.

Is this something to be proud of or do most people not give a ****?

that's really cool Ed !! useful for finding work as well :borat:
In the Anglosphere generally, it's something to be proud of. At a university or in continental Europe it's nothing that far out of the norm. What would be impressive is maintaining fluency after a year or so without practice.
Reply 11
I speak a few and can curse in a few more. Always found them pretty easy to pick up. Mainly because of online gaming and impressing girls :p:

Props to anybody who can rap in Icelandic though..
Can speak 2 and a lil bit of Arabic. I impress myself.
Whenever I find out someone else is fluent in another language I spend a good ten minutes hating life at the fact I can only speak english and broken french.

Its ludicrously impressive. And Im immensely jealous of those who are bilingual.
I can speak two languages, but given that I live in England, and the other one I learned because it was spoken at home, it isn't impressive. It doesn't really take any skill to be fluent in a second, or even third language, so long as they're spoken at home.
Reply 15
Yeah I can speak two languages and people tend to be quite amazed for a bit, then shrug it off. It's neat, but it's not more than mildly interesting.
Original post by binarythoughts
I speak English and Arabic (fus7a) along with a few other languages
But I was taught Arabic in school so I don't think it's too impressive

Was taught arabic at school also. I've forgotten so much of it tho, it's been around 3 years since I studied it.

Anyway speak relatively fluent Bengali and English obvs :rolleyes:
Reply 17
I only speak two languages, and live in the country of my learned language. People here are really surprised and impressed that I am British and that I learned it in a really short time and to such a high level without any accent. They rarely come across Brits who speak anything other than English. Also back in Britain people find it impressive. It's nice getting all the compliments, but not so nice knowing they are only as a result of our reputation of laziness in learning other languages.
I speak English, Finnish and German fluently and a little bit of Spanish. I live in the UK though English is my third language :smile:
Not impressive if you were brought up bilingual. I know many people who were and its just not really interesting. If you learnt it then that's different. Definitely impressive.

Latest