The Student Room Group

a level choices

Hi ! I'm trying to decide on which A levels to take, originally I wanted to do biology, chemistry, hisory and Heath and social care but I have been told I can only take 3 so need to choose between chemistry or history
I would like to go into etheir nursing or midwifery when I am older so which would be the best option to choose ? Also I much prefer history to chemistry but if I have to I would take chemistry
Thanks for any help :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Chemistry is more relevant to Nursing/Midwifery than History so take Chemistry.
Original post by Emma1122
Hi ! I'm trying to decide on which A levels to take, originally I wanted to do biology, chemistry, hisory and Heath and social care but I have been told I can only take 3 so need to choose between chemistry or history
I would like to go into etheir nursing or midwifery when I am older so which would be the best option to choose ? Also I much prefer history to chemistry but if I have to I would take chemistry

Personally id get rid of health and social care
Reply 3
Don't get rid of H&SC. That is basically the underpinning A level you will need to carry on with Nursing at a degree level. You will have a greater chance of getting in to Nursing than Midwifery unless you are properly outstanding on your application and subsequent interviews. Somewhere along the lines of 800 people applied to Chester for Midwifery last year. I think only 20-30 places were available.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma1122

Since you like history, I would suggest you take it with your biology and chemistry since all three are considered 'facilitating' by Russel group universities and will open a wider variety of career options in case you change your mind. However, even though health and social care is the most relevant for nursing/midwifery, it is also one of the least respected and is classed as a '4th option only' but you can only take 3 :smile:
My advice is to take the subjects you like.
If you like history, take history, you don't want to be in a position where you have to take a subject you're not keen on for the next 2 years. As well as this, Chemistry is a difficult a-level, one that you will need to put a lot of time into and if you aren't motivated to do the subject you will find it even more difficult.

I am currently studying history at AS and although it's hard I throughly enjoy it and find it really interesting. I was in the position where I wasn't sure whether to take Drama or Maths and I am so glad I took drama as I love it and I understand now I would have failed maths, not because I wasn't capable, but because I hated it 😂

However, to excel and secure your career in midwifery or nursing I would take chemistry as it is more appropriate. Sometimes you just have to do things to make things easier in the future.

So, you have to make a decision as to whether you will be able motivate yourself enough to take Chemistry as an a-level (if you're stuck, let your passion for your future career be your motivation😊)

Best of luck,

Ellen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Health and Social care (although often seen as a soft subject) actually is meant to be really good for going into nursing, I think some places prefer it.

Biology, Is obviously relevent and you will need it if you want to apply to highly placed unit's.

Chemistry, gives you a second science that I believe some places sometimes ask for, Psychology could be a good one to take as your 3rd subject too.

so if I were you that would be my choice, however if you like history and really want to study it, it won't do you any harm, and you could potentially do it just as an AS level alongside your A2's ?

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest