OliverBeaumontt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am really stuck on my last option for my GCSE's the subjects that I will be choosing are
- geography
-economics
- P.E (doesn't take up an option)
but what I am stuck on is wether I should pick French or computing, I know French will get me my Ebacc but is that really that useful but computing is what will help in this day and age.
what should I pick?
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French.
Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alot of people in my Year Group picked Computing for some reason.
Since I do French in my opinion it's hell. The Listening exams make you feel hopeless. Speakings are just jarring.
Posted from TSR Mobile
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French. Languages are always a plus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gaiaphage
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French IMO, more fun and (in my opinion) much more well respected. Computing won't help in every day life, anything you might learn is stuff you'll know if you use computers a lot anyway.
Polapod
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French is a good one to have as it is a language, I'd recommend not choosing Computing unless you really like it and want to continue it after GCSE. A lot of my class don't enjoy it.
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French.

I find Computing to be much more work than French, especially with the controlled assessment. On OCR, you have to do three different tasks, write programs with comments and a report for each. There's also another task that asks for a report and research on programming issues. Theory exam is only worth 40%, so a lot rests on your controlled assessments.

French can also be tough. There's a lot of vocab and grammar points you need to know. The controlled assessments are manageable and the different topics give you an insight into French culture.

It really depends on what you prefer and are good at, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I'd go for French. Although you have to put a bit of effort into understanding tenses and sentence structures, it is much easier than Computing, which often requires a very good knowledge of Algebra. Besides, you might be offered the chance to go on trips to France, which are definitely fun!
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd personally have gone french, and I'm taking Computing for degree level. The stuff in GCSE computing is pretty basic, and it's much more interesting to do in your own time.
Waqar600
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At GCSE level, I'd say French. If you had an additional option then I might suggest computing, but I believe computing is one of the courses that you can do at A-Level without any prior knowledge needed - whereas if you were to take French AS you would need to have achieved a good grade in French GCSE. Personally I love French at GCSE, and it is extremely useful - I've heard that universities, namely UCL make you take up a language GCSE whilst studying for your degree if you haven't got Atleast a C in a GCSE Modern foreign language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There we go, I think French is the one to take :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (719)
41.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed