brandonn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm in my final year of A-levels now but I am taking a gap year. I want to study abroad, in Belgium, France or Switzerland, but I don't know how to go about it. I need some help.
My grades aren't amazing 3 Cs. I would like to know what other exams I would need to do of whether just A-levels are enough?
I understand some of the financial part of it but not all so if you could help that would be awesome.
Also anymore advice you could offer would be great.

Thanks.
mon124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a pity that no one replied to this because I would like some more info about studying in Belgium too. For me it's not only the way it's cheaper but also that the EU headquarters are there so I would have plenty of opportunities to get experience in business (I want to study International business)
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brandonn)
Hi,
I'm in my final year of A-levels now but I am taking a gap year. I want to study abroad, in Belgium, France or Switzerland, but I don't know how to go about it. I need some help.
My grades aren't amazing 3 Cs. I would like to know what other exams I would need to do of whether just A-levels are enough?
I understand some of the financial part of it but not all so if you could help that would be awesome.

Thanks.
3Cs wouldn't be competitive enough for most of the good foreign universities I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MBFP
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brandonn)
Hi,

Thanks.
Im french so i know quite a bit about france ? Can you be more specific?what would you want to study?
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
mon124 Belgium has very few English-taught undergraduate degrees; you'd be better off looking at the Netherlands. I know that Groningen has an International Business degree.

(Original post by Princepieman)
3Cs wouldn't be competitive enough for most of the good foreign universities I'm afraid.
Not necessarily. There are some very good universities in Europe with comparably low entry requirements. Here are some examples of where and what you can study with C's:
  • Economics at the University of Amsterdam (ranked 58th in world) with CCC
  • Pharmacology at Utrecht University (ranked 62nd in world) with CCC
  • Aerospace Engineering at Delft University of Technology (ranked 65th in world) with CC
  • Psychology at Leiden University (ranked 67th in world) with CCC
  • Modern Languages at the University of Groningen (ranked 74th in world) with CCC
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
mon124 Belgium has very few English-taught undergraduate degrees; you'd be better off looking at the Netherlands. I know that Groningen has an International Business degree.

Not necessarily. There are some very good universities in Europe with comparably low entry requirements. Here are some examples of where and what you can study with C's:
  • Aerospace Engineering at Delft University of Technology (ranked 65th in world) with CC
  • Modern Languages at the University of Groningen (ranked 74th in world) with CCC
I stand corrected, thanks for that!
Leiden University
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

The International Bachelor of Psychology at Leiden University is open for application with three C's as are all other bachelor's programmes in The Netherlands, but that does not mean an offer will be given. In fact, the IBP programme is one of the more selective programmes that Leiden offers and the programme only accepts 150 students per year. Therefore most years, students require A's and perhaps a B in their A levels in order to be considered. The IBP also requires the Thinking Skills Assessment test for entry.

There are general requirements for Dutch universities, which are three C's in your A-levels, but many programmes also have additional requirements. This could be standardized testing, an interview, higher grades, etc. The are more than 300 bachelor's programmes in English in The Netherlands, so it's best to check the requirements per programme.

You can find the listing at www.studyfinder.nl.

Good luck!

(Original post by Snufkin)

Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leiden University)
Hi,

The International Bachelor of Psychology at Leiden University is open for application with three C's as are all other bachelor's programmes in The Netherlands, but that does not mean an offer will be given. In fact, the IBP programme is one of the more selective programmes that Leiden offers and the programme only accepts 150 students per year. Therefore most years, students require A's and perhaps a B in their A levels in order to be considered. The IBP also requires the Thinking Skills Assessment test for entry.

There are general requirements for Dutch universities, which are three C's in your A-levels, but many programmes also have additional requirements. This could be standardized testing, an interview, higher grades, etc. The are more than 300 bachelor's programmes in English in The Netherlands, so it's best to check the requirements per programme.

You can find the listing at www.studyfinder.nl.

Good luck!
My point was that the minimum requirements are lower than in the UK. To make a competitive application I suppose you probably will need higher grades, or write an excellent personal statement, but it is still possible to get into a top European university with C grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.15%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (95)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.4%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.06%
Financial worries (61)
6.82%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.26%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.04%

Watched Threads