Does anyone else rue high speed trains? Watch

SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
And the channel tunnel as well?

I mean, it'll make it so quick to get from London to to the north, that the feeling of making a long trip to a distinct place will go, it will just continue globalizations trend to homoginize everything. Don't much like that it's a few minutes in a tunnel to France now either.

I look back upon the travel of my youth and realy knew you were going somewhere different when you got on a ferry, or it took hours to get to Liverpool or Manchester, with HS2 it will be just over an hour.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am very pleased that I can travel to most of France, Belgium and the Netherlands without having to fly or use a ferry.
anunoriginaluser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see how this is negative, although I can empathize with you in terms of it being strange seeing things change and we're always naturally inclined to prefer things how they were in the past as far as I can tell, but sometimes I think you just have to really think about things from an objective and logical standpoint. If you really want to take a ferry or a low speed train they won't stop existing, it just means that other people who don't enjoy unnecessarily long journies don't have to take them, it shouldn't affect you that other people are going to have a better quality of life.
Kangie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm actually really excited for the HS2 (probably because I did my extended essay on it :woo:) and faster trains. I hate travelling in the first place and it'll make visiting places much easier.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)

I mean, it'll make it so quick to get from London to to the north, that the feeling of making a long trip to a distinct place will go, it will just continue globalizations trend to homoginize everything. Don't much like that it's a few minutes in a tunnel to France now either.

I look back upon the travel of my youth and realy knew you were going somewhere different when you got on a ferry, or it took hours to get to Liverpool or Manchester, with HS2 it will be just over an hour.
Yes, let's all go back to using horses, shall we? That'll make it more special to go to the shops because it'll be more of a journey.

"It's a thousand leagues between here and the wall!"

**** off. High speed rail is technological progress and should be embraced.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
(Original post by anunoriginaluser)
I don't see how this is negative, although I can empathize with you in terms of it being strange seeing things change and we're always naturally inclined to prefer things how they were in the past as far as I can tell, but sometimes I think you just have to really think about things from an objective and logical standpoint. If you really want to take a ferry or a low speed train they won't stop existing, it just means that other people who don't enjoy unnecessarily long journies don't have to take them, it shouldn't affect you that other people are going to have a better quality of life.
Well normally I'm not past-centric, in fact I approve of new developments near my house that help me when other people are conservative.

But London and Liverpool used to be different planets, now they will be just over an hour on the train.
anunoriginaluser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well normally I'm not past-centric, in fact I approve of new developments near my house that help me when other people are conservative.

But London and Liverpool used to be different planets, now they will be just over an hour on the train.
True, but I don't see how that's a negative thing.
hukdealz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HS2 is too slow, I don't understand why UK govt doesn't futureproof by using maglev style
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Yes, let's all go back to using horses, shall we? That'll make it more special to go to the shops because it'll be more of a journey.

Technological progress is good as long as it's useful-even one of the world's leading minds, Hawking says that he is concerned about tech and we may be approaching the singularity. 'It's technolgical progress'. Well, yeah, so's genetically engineering babies and trying to take control of evolution, and so is self operating killing robots, and ai that can pass the Turing test, and can become a threat- this isn't me, this is the worlds leading minds saying this.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
(Original post by anunoriginaluser)
True, but I don't see how that's a negative thing.
It's not the end of the world, like I say, it just tends to make everything homogeneous, the general trend of the world with globalization.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Technological progress is good as long as it's useful-even one of the world's leading minds, Hawking says that he is concerned about tech and we may be approaching the singularity. 'It's technolgical progress'. Well, yeah, so's genetically engineering babies and trying to take control of evolution, and so is self operating killing robots, and ai that can pass the Turing test, and can become a threat- this isn't me, this is the worlds leading minds saying this.
THE TRAINS ARE GOING TO BECOME SENTIENT AND KILL US ALL.

Get a ****ing grip.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
HS1 is excellent, no complaints there. I'm travelling from A to B - it fulfills it purpose in the quickest possible fashion - excellent.

If I wanted some scenic train journey, I'd go interrailing.... or book a journey on the Orient Express... or I'd hop on some bull**** Yorkshire steam train.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A high speed train is hardly the same as robot killers.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Genetic engineering could be one of the greatest innovations we've seen. Liberal eugenics would finally take place with disease being wiped out and stuff like potential intelligence amplified. We'd finally be able to create superior genetic stock.. a ubermensch

(Original post by Baby Milo)
Come on now, you have to admit, seeing Farage head off to Brussels on the finest thoroughbred England has ever seen would be hilarious.
What happens when all the immigrants take all the horse jobs.
CaptainBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm from London but go to uni in Manchester and being able to get from Manc to Euston in 2 hours and thus expedite pampering and homemade curry from my mum is a glorious thing.

get thee to thy horse-drawn carriage if thou dost protest otherwise
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Given how nice the Virgin trains on HS1 are I kinda see your point. Having recently visited the York railway museum it seems things were even more luxurious in days gone by.

Where I used to live I could get to either London or Edinburgh in under three hours and for around £25 return if booked in advance. That was a great thing, although I never went to Edinburgh (yet...planning on going in a few weeks).
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)

Completely agree that it should be embraced, but not in the way that we are doing it.

HS2 is in my opinion nothing more than a colossal waste of money. That money could be put into improving the rail network nationwide, giving everybody access to a more reliable service, but instead the rest of the country is being left in a shambolic state while all of this money is being piled into a service that is massively overpriced and doesn't deliver anywhere near enough.
CaptainBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Completely agree that it should be embraced, but not in the way that we are doing it.

HS2 is in my opinion nothing more than a colossal waste of money. That money could be put into improving the rail network nationwide, giving everybody access to a more reliable service, but instead the rest of the country is being left in a shambolic state while all of this money is being piled into a service that is massively overpriced and doesn't deliver anywhere near enough.
I agree with this. Trains in the North East and South West are atrociously slow compared to the Virgin lines coming out of London. This needs to be addressed.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Oh pipe down, Prince Charles.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hukdealz)
HS2 is too slow, I don't understand why UK govt doesn't futureproof by using maglev style
They won't commit to such a spend because of the high cost of paying off private land-owners in an overvalued property market like ours.

It holds us back.

Also if it was a Maglev it would be fast enough that we could have a single line running from Glasgow through Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and London. They would rather go with a slower train because it means they "need" to have two spurs. Unlike the single line, this means the north isn't actually connected and all the economic benefits flow to London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads