The Student Room Group

This is not art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fenice
Somerset Maugham's relevant thoughts in 'The Summing Up':

image.jpeg

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money" Samuel Johnson

"I shall stick to my engraving, and if I had done so before I should today be a richer man by 1,000 florins." Albrecht Durer
Reply 201
Original post by nulli tertius
"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money" Samuel Johnson

"I shall stick to my engraving, and if I had done so before I should today be a richer man by 1,000 florins." Albrecht Durer

From the same text:

image.jpg
Original post by Fenice
From the same text:

image.jpg

Easy to say that when you come from a line of eminent lawyers. If you are the son of a Lichfield bookseller who has to leave Oxford because of financial difficulties, you might be more interested in the cash
Reply 203
Original post by nulli tertius
Easy to say that when you come from a line of eminent lawyers. If you are the son of a Lichfield bookseller who has to leave Oxford because of financial difficulties, you might be more interested in the cash

True, but I think he has a point in saying that it is easier to make money more easily elsewhere. It seems unlikely that a clever man like Johnson could have written such a great deal for such little money out of avarice. There is also a difference between the 'spur of necessity' and committed avarice. I think this is one of those Churchillian zingers that should be taken seriously but not literally.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Birkenhead
Below are two examples of so-called 'art works' that shouldn't, in my view, be so described.

The first is a painting that I once saw in Tate St Ives. It is a canvas painted black. That's it. No, really. That's it. On exhibition in a prestigious art gallery. I cannot find an image of the exact painting but below is a close enough example. It's not as difficult as you might think to find closely resembling images of black canvases.

The first one describes being trapped, of having to wake up everyday and hate yourself, hate everything wishing the pain could just go away. It is the fear of someone who has no other choice but to carry on smiling for the sake of others. The fear of never knowing. The darkness of the secrets held in one's mind, The fear and hope that one day this might just be over, one day it will just disappear.
Or being trapped in a nightmare and not being able to escape.
Original post by Sunshine1512
The first one describes being trapped, of having to wake up everyday and hate yourself, hate everything wishing the pain could just go away. It is the fear of someone who has no other choice but to carry on smiling for the sake of others. The fear of never knowing. The darkness of the secrets held in one's mind, The fear and hope that one day this might just be over, one day it will just disappear.
Or being trapped in a nightmare and not being able to escape.

Or, it's a black square.
Original post by Ed Phelan
Or, it's a black square.

That may just be the opinion of someone who has never felt what others have.

Quick Reply

Latest