I don't understand how people can fall in love

Watch
SquareBrackets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Seriously...you read a few threads on here and you see the ****ty, dishonest things people do to each other. And this is just a student forum...

People who get emotionally invested in their relationships are running a huge risk by placing their trust in other people.

I recognise that I might be about to fall in love occasionally, but then I realise that what I'm doing is dangerous. Because if my partner does some stupid nonsense down the line, I lose everything and I have done nothing wrong.

Its easier just not to love anyone. Just say you do, enjoy the benefits and move on if things go wrong.

I define loving someone as having an irrationally great feeling of affection towards them and unusually strong trust in them.
TheTruthTeller
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's love a concept so abstract that can only be expressed by the rubbing and penetration of the genetilia.
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only with the person your falling in love with. Love is about trust, and trusting someone to love you and love you back is a commitment to never abuse that love.
mariel94
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes its easier just not to love anyone. But easier means not better.
I was and not only once betrayed by my partner but i think that this is nothing compare to the feeling that you feel when you are in love with someone. And yes, you always have a risk that the other people destroyed you but i think that if you take any risk in your life, it must be a really sad life.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on who you are falling in love with.
sarskinz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't even understand the point of love these days tbh.
Mahbuba1997
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SquareBrackets)
Seriously...you read a few threads on here and you see the ****ty, dishonest things people do to each other. And this is just a student forum...

People who get emotionally invested in their relationships are running a huge risk by placing their trust in other people.

I fall in love occasionally, but then I realise that what I'm doing is dangerous. Because if my partner does some stupid nonsense down the line, I lose everything and I have done nothing wrong.

Its easier just not to love anyone. Just say you do, enjoy the benefits and move on if things go wrong.
It's easy to fall IN love but I've learnt that it's just as easy to fall out of love :/ It's all about perspective I guess, personally I find it hard to understand how some people can stay in love for years and years

But I agree I've seen some of the really nasty things people to do others :unimpressed:
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariel94)
Yes its easier just not to love anyone. But easier means not better.
I was and not only once betrayed by my partner but i think that this is nothing compare to the feeling that you feel when you are in love with someone. And yes, you always have a risk that the other people destroyed you but i think that if you take any risk in your life, it must be a really sad life.
I totally agree with you about risk and reward. I just don't see how the equation is favourable when it comes to emotionally investing yourself in someone. You gain a little, you lose so much and you rely solely on one person. I like to take risks that I can explain or calculate. Even without falling in love with someone, you can have intimacy and a good time...
username1504459
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's pretty sad when you think about it.
Teddysmith123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't understand it either. A friend of mine claimed he was in love with a girl for 4 years, but honestly I see love as an infatuation at first which after 50 odd years off marriage just becomes a relationship you begin to tolerate - I'm probably being cynical but I just don't see love as something that lasts for a long time unless its love between friends, or family...
LTG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"I don't understand how people can fall in love"

"I fall in love occasionally"
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
I think it would make things easier for people if we could understand how to NOT fall in love. Love involves trust ... and most people you can't trust. :pierre:
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
(Original post by LTG)

At the early stages, I make sure I don't!
mariel94
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SquareBrackets)
I totally agree with you about risk and reward. I just don't see how the equation is favourable when it comes to emotionally investing yourself in someone. You gain a little, you lose so much and you rely solely on one person. I like to take risks that I can explain or calculate. Even without falling in love with someone, you can have intimacy and a good time...
i don't agree with you ! you gain so much loving someone. If you like taking risks that you can calculate, you will never be able to really love someone, because to love someone, first you have to trust And i think that love is not an equation at all ! It's the problem of our society. We always want to gain something and lose the less as possible. That's why i think a lot of relationship end.
Mrs House
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The pros outweigh the cons simple.

(Original post by LTG)

Haha silly huh
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariel94)
i don't agree with you ! you gain so much loving someone. If you like taking risks that you can calculate, you will never be able to really love someone, because to love someone, first you have to trust And i think that love is not an equation at all ! It's the problem of our society. We always want to gain something and lose the less as possible. That's why i think a lot of relationship end.
Yeh thats true. Ah well... I'll never fall in love
Gauntlets28
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm, I guess. I mean, what do you get when you fall in love anyway? A girl with a pin to burst your bubble. That's what you get for all your trouble, and I know that personally, I'll never fall in love again!
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
Yup. And I know people will hate on me for saying this but ill say it anyway... The only use for love that I have found is to use it as a tool for attracting attractive females on grounds which don't make your intentions clear. Other than that, there is no use for it.
CarpeDiem.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol everybody needs love
LTG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's quite entertaining seeing all the students who seem to have been in 'love' quite a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.11%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (712)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed