The Student Room Group

Should transgender people be honest before getting serious?

This is a rather controversial subject, but I'd like to hear the general consensus.

Do you think, before the relationship reaches its sexual stage, a transgender person should divulge their "secret"?

Scroll to see replies

Probably... I guess... I don't have a set opinion and I don't know what I'd do if I found this about about my partner. I guess that it seems like something you should tell your partner although it may be like a shameful part of past you don't want to share...
Damn right that they should.
Yes.
Reply 4
One should divulge beforehand anything that could, if brought to light at a later stage, conceivably jeopardise the prospective relationship.
I think it's too important an aspect of one's history to be kept secret. For one night stands or casual relationship's it isn't necessary, but I think it's preferable for a long term relationship that both partners know pretty much everything important about each other.
It's important so yes, and then they live happily ever after like Roy and Hayley Cropper.
Reply 7
Original post by Add!ction
It's important so yes, and then they live happily ever after like Roy and Hayley Cropper.

I do not watch Coronation Street because it is a bit plebby but even I know the 'Croppers' (what a stupid name) did not live happily ever after.
Reply 8

lmao
Original post by Goldberg
I do not watch Coronation Street because it is a bit plebby but even I know the 'Croppers' (what a stupid name) did not live happily ever after.

Yes they did, she pegged it but they were in love until the very end.
Reply 10
Yes they did, she pegged it but they were in love until the very end.

How contrived. What an awful television show. Senseless melodrama. Almost as grim as Eastenders.
How contrived. What an awful television show. Senseless melodrama. Almost as grim as Eastenders.

All soaps by their very nature are contrived. It's better than Eastender's, a little less grim I would say.
Reply 12
All soaps by their very nature are contrived. It's better than Eastender's, a little less grim I would say.

It is an indictment on our society that shows like Coronation Street have how many millions of viewers? And yet the truly fabulous educational series Horizon has what a few thousand? Sad that people care more about needless melodrama than education.
It is an indictment on our society that shows like Coronation Street have how many millions of viewers? And yet the truly fabulous educational series Horizon has what a few thousand? Sad that people care more about needless melodrama than education.

But the fact of the matter is, it is more entertaining and that's what people want. Plus it's pitched to everyone whereas Horizon has a specific audience.
Original post by Dodgypirate
This is a rather controversial subject, but I'd like to hear the general consensus.

Do you think, before the relationship reaches its sexual stage, a transgender person should divulge their "secret"?

Having dated somebody who was trans, and thanks to her having spoken to a large number of other people who were trans, the vast, vast majority of them will disclose that information very early on, as in after a single successful date.

They all had the same opinion which is that withholding that information is not only dishonest, it also puts them at some fairly serious risk because there are a worrying number of people around who would react very badly if they got to the point of intimacy and then found out that the other person was trans, and far too many people react to that situation by lashing out and causing harm to the other person.
Reply 15
But the fact of the matter is, it is more entertaining and that's what people want. Plus it's pitched to everyone whereas Horizon has a specific audience.

Horizon is popular science. By its nature, it is pitched to everyone.
Horizon is popular science. By its nature, it is pitched to everyone.

Yeah but not everyone is interested in science. However you can say the same about Corrie, but I think it just has more appeal. Statistics don't lie.
Yes.Imagine a guy was about to have sex with a transwomen he didn't know was transgendered and he saw she has a bigger penis than he did lol that would be awkward.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I think it's too important an aspect of one's history to be kept secret. For one night stands or casual relationship's it isn't necessary, but I think it's preferable for a long term relationship that both partners know pretty much everything important about each other.

Have you ever spoken to anybody who is trans (or more specifically Male to Female trans)?

It's far more important for them to disclose that information to a one night stand before even getting near to having sex than it is for it to be disclosed early within a proper relationship.

By their very nature a relationship means that you care about each other, and so if after they've been dating for a while the woman reveals that she is trans then it's much more likely to be taken either as something that isn't a problem or for it to be an issue but result in the relationship breaking up amicably.

One night stands on the other hand, you get a drunk guy who jumps into bed with a girl and then discovers that she has male genitalia. That's a recipe for violence, for the guy to get pissed off and aggressive and cause serious harm to the woman. Far too many guys have the attitude that being with somebody who is trans makes you gay, and if put in that situation, especially when drunk, are very likely to lash out.
Reply 19
Yeah but not everyone is interested in science. However you can say the same about Corrie, but I think it just has more appeal. Statistics don't lie.

'There are three kinds of Lie. Lies, damn lies and statistics'.

Benjamin Disraeli, politician, author and all round delightful cad.

Misuse of stats means statistics can indeed lie. A trend particularly growing in politics. Though no doubt you are right in the number of 'Corrie' viewers. The 'great British public', what a bunch of insular plebs.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest