How do you quote in a Classical Civilisation exam?

Watch this thread
yazdro
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've gathered that I will not be getting a blank copy of The Odyssey in my exam. Its for the AS Classical Civilisation Odyssey paper under OCR.
How does the quoting work then? As in, how accurate do I have to be. Can I just be like 'Menelaus hid in seal skins and waited for Proteus' and quote the like part or do I need to have learnt exact quotes?
I have my mock tomorrow so this is last minute but at least I will know for the actual exam.
Update: I had my mock and I didn't know how to quote (aside from the passage question because its right there) I just talked about the different parts but I didn't have anything in quotations on like the essay questions because I couldn't remember any exact quotes. Will I lose marks on that? How is it supposed to work?
tomstoke
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
You only need to quote for the questions where it directly asks about the passage, (how it is dramatically effective, or "using this passage as a starting point" etc.)

If you are not asked to comment on the passage you don't need to quote. You can if you like and it might be worth learning some of the more important quotes, (especially if you're doing the Greek Tragedy module,) but you won't lost credit for paraphrasing instead of quoting.
katinthehat
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yazdro)
I've gathered that I will not be getting a blank copy of The Odyssey in my exam. Its for the AS Classical Civilisation Odyssey paper under OCR.
How does the quoting work then? As in, how accurate do I have to be. Can I just be like 'Menelaus hid in seal skins and waited for Proteus' and quote the like part or do I need to have learnt exact quotes?
I have my mock tomorrow so this is last minute but at least I will know for the actual exam.
Update: I had my mock and I didn't know how to quote (aside from the passage question because its right there) I just talked about the different parts but I didn't have anything in quotations on like the essay questions because I couldn't remember any exact quotes. Will I lose marks on that? How is it supposed to work?
Hey,

Sorry this is really late for you! But my teacher says you can paraphrase and that will lose you no marks so long as it has adequate detail

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads