Why is the term 'self-respect' only something we apply to the female gender? Watch

Crk20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I came across this thread about self respect:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2374380

The responses got me thinking, about how self-respect is only something we say to women.

Nobody would tell a man that he lacks self-respect if he walked around with no top on and his boxer shorts hanging out because his jeans are halfway down his arse cheeks but if women 'tart' themselves up, then we say they lack self-respect.

I've never once heard anyone tell a man he lacks self-respect if he sleeps around but i see and hear both men and women telling women they have no self-respect if they partake in casual sex.

Why is it assumed that every woman who has casual sex, is automatically insecure and only having sex because she doesn't respect herself? Why is the fact, some women can be generally confident, happy in themselves and generally enjoy having causal sex, so hard to comprehend? Doesn't it kind of imply that sex isn't something that women enjoy and that they only have sex to please men?

Maybe I'm just being really thick but I just really don't understand this.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because people have lost all faith and have now got no expectations from men everywhere.
Crk20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Because people have lost all faith and have now got no expectations from men everywhere.
This is true. It seems men can do anything these days and simply blame it on being male.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Crk20)
This is true. It seems men can do anything these days and simply blame it on being male.
I was told it's because everything men do have been backed up by thousands of years of suppression against women.

Because men have all lived thousands of years and personally done every bad things men have done.
drsahib101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because we live in a society where women are constantly on the radar. It's a man;s world, we are taught that they (men) are able to get away with most things if anything, hence the use of the term "boys will be boys". But think about it, what are we teaching our future sons? To have no aspirations and life will get them by because they have that thing between their legs. No, things need to change both the view of men and women need to evolve. Women need to stop being subjected to slut shaming, and men need to be treated with the same values as a woman, to aim high and to know they also need to carry themselves with respect. EQUALITY OF THE SEXES.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (94)
49.74%
No (95)
50.26%

Watched Threads