The Student Room Group

How demanding is working and studying towards your CIMA?

Hey, I'm a graduate and in the midst of balancing part time roles until the right graduate opportunity arises. I'm in the running for an upcoming finance analyst role, but the role as offered as a part of a 3 year scheme where I would have to complete the CIMA qualification.

My rough questions would be how much time would is needed to be dedicated to working towards this? Is it to be expected to work all day and then study every evening and on weekends for three years? Is the study balance only more heavy in the couple months approaching the exam? Is there a rough estimate of hours per week or how many hours in total is expected to go into preparation for an exam? I'd also be interested in knowing if the final qualification would even put me in a more advantageous position and be worth the three years of work?

I'm absolutely not expecting feedback to every point but just a general description of what the CIMA experience is likely to be like in terms of balancing work/study.
Reply 1
Hello

I've recently completed a 3 year graduate scheme studying CIMA

Based on my experience alone, it is pretty tough, I'm not going to lie.

Obviously, I don't have any experience of the new syllabus, but the new grads that have just started are finding it a bit tough so probably similar to mine.

It's usually lessons on the weekend (1 sat or sun every week or so - look at a Kaplan/BPP calendar)

I had to study in the evenings, or on weekends. Your employer will probably give you 1-5 days per exam for revision.

It does require about 1 month of study/ revision per exam as a full time person.

You do lose a lot of your free time, but there is space to have a work life balance - hours in industry are usually much better than practice.

In terms of the value of CIMA, I think it's seen as a great qualification in its own right - it's very forward looking and more about strategy and business acumen, less focused on debits and credits and financial statements (although these are covered in detail in earlier modules) you're more likely to be asked to interpret statements rather than produce them at higher levels.

Very employable qualification, and you should expect to get around £40k on completion in the south east.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending