Why the Tories don't understand mental health

Watch this thread
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I made a post recently about this article by the guardian where David Cameron came out and said that obese disabled people will have their benefits abolished if they do not accept treatment for their weight problems.

I would like to prove to the community of TSR that David Cameron and his party really do not understand the barriers which prevent people from working.

One of the most prescribed medications used in mental health actually causes people to become obese.

So lets jump though every hoop David Cameron says.

1. Accept mental health treatment or lose benefits.
2. Take medication.
3. Gain weight.
4. Accept obesity treatment or lose benefits.
5. Get accused of failing to meet targets set by Gov appointed Weight Loss Club.
6. Result = Sanctioned and lose all benefits.

Lets take one of the biggest & well known disabilities: Autism.

A good majority of Autistic people take medication for there Autism.

One of the most popular types of medication for Autistic people is called Risperidone. It is a Anti-Psychotic drug. It is also known as Risperdal.

This medication is also used for Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders, Eating Disorders and Dementia.

In terms of Autism it does the following:

"Compared to placebo, risperidone treatment reduces certain problematic behaviors in autistic children, including aggression toward others, self-injury, temper tantrums, and rapid mood changes."

Source: Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperidone

There is however side effects to all medications. Risperidones side effects include:

Weight gain!

"Weight gain is one of the most common side effects of Risperdal and Invega. In one study, Risperdal patients gained an average of 4.6 pounds after 10 weeks of treatment. The FDA reports that patients on Risperdal had “a statistically significantly greater incidence of weight gain"

Source: Drugwatch.com
http://www.drugwatch.com/risperdal/side-effects/

Proves that White Dee from Benefits Street wasn't fat from being a lazy sod. She was taking medication that was making her fat!

Tories don't care about facts though. They just like to point and harass the poor so none of this is a revelation. It is to be expected.

This proves that Tories don't know what they are talking about.

They make up bogus policies which satisfy public out cry but in turn end up creating more destruction than they are worth.

If the Tories new policy goes a head there are going to be hundreds of disabled people put on the streets regardless how hard they try to lose weight because the very medication they are taking is a double edged sword.

So TSR Tories please explain this. I will be writing a letter about this and sending it to Dennis Skinner, George Galloway and Natalie Bennett. If it reaches PMQ it will cause some serious damage.

poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
You seem to have poor reading comprehension, the reported statement (which wasnt even a policy statement, just an off-the-cuff remark) was about people who cannot work due to being obese, not "people who cannot work due to being mentally ill and who are also obese"
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by poohat)
You seem to have poor reading comprehension, the reported statement (which wasnt even a policy statement, just an off-the-cuff remark) was about people who cannot work due to being obese, not "people who cannot work due to being mentally ill and who are also obese"
It doesn't matter. If Tories make a new hoop to jump though it will apply to everyone who receives disability related benefits.

They said exactly the same as you. They said if you are truly disabled you have nothing to fear. The new test is to weed out the so called scroungers. Then dozens of genuine disabled found themselves needing food banks.

You could write a song, release a movie and do a flash mob scene but Ian Duncan Smith will just laugh at you and repeat his rhetoric.
Moosferatu
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
It doesn't matter. If Tories make a new hoop to jump though it will apply to everyone who receives disability related benefits.

They said exactly the same as you. They said if you are truly disabled you have nothing to fear. The new test is to weed out the so called scroungers. Then dozens of genuine disabled found themselves needing food banks.

You could write a song, release a movie and do a flash mob scene but Ian Duncan Smith will just laugh at you and repeat his rhetoric.
We are bringing millions out of people, helping them into work, improving their lives, getting the benefit bill down. It's too good to be true! Reminds me of the time I was on benefits, except I wasn't because I was living with Betsy who is an aristocrat. Not that the voters know that hur hur hur!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.43%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.96%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
17.39%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (29)
25.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20%

Watched Threads