The Student Room Group

Expat here - need advice about flying to UK for college interview

Hi there, bit of a strange question, but I'm currently in Spain looking to start an Access Course to Psychology at Reading College this September. The only problem is, their courses fill up quickly and they say it might be a bad idea to interview in June, which is when I move back to the UK. I'm currently considering flying over for a few days to do the interview sooner (this is pretty costly for me as I'm saving for the big move, and I'll have to take time off work too).

My main reason for choosing Reading College over others nearby (Bracknell, Guildford, East Berkshire etc.) is that I've already queried University of Reading about the degree I'd love to end up doing with them, and they responded positively to my plan of doing the particular Access through Reading College. Also, the other colleges don't seem too bothered with their courses being filled up by June.

I'd like to know if anyone else has gone the same route - access with a college and then Uni of Reading? Are there certain colleges the university prefers? Should I take the risk of showing up for the interview in June, and then falling back on the other colleges if I don't get a spot? Or is Reading College the better choice? Ahhh. So many questions!
I very much doubt that the University of Reading is only prepared to accept Access students from Reading College. You should email Reading and ask if any of the other Access courses at the colleges you listed would be acceptable. In the unlikely event that they say no, then yes, it would be worth traveling back to the UK for the college interview. Have you asked Reading College if it would be possible to have a phone or Skype interview?
Reply 2
Yes, Reading College is aware of my situation and they can't do a phone/Skype interview. I'm guessing because there is a written assessment for the access courses.

Do you know anything positive about other colleges in the area? Out of all the colleges I contacted, Reading College has been the only one in regular, helpful correspondence with me. What's cemented them as my first choice in my mind are the nonchalant attitudes about courses from some other colleges, and then also the few that didn't even respond at all, ever!

I've got in touch with University of Reading to ask what they think, too. Thanks for your input :smile:

Quick Reply