Definitions of apoplast, symplast and vacuolar pathways?

Watch
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can I have so solid definitions. I think my definitions are rubbish:

Apoplast- the route where water moves through the cell wall and intercellular spaces in a plant

Symplast: teh route where water moves through the cytoplasm in a plant (does it move through teh cell walls?)

Vacuolar: the route where water moves through the cytoplasm and vacuoles (does it move through the cell wall?)
kkboyk
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Can I have so solid definitions. I think my definitions are rubbish:

Apoplast- the route where water moves through the cell wall and intercellular spaces in a plant

Symplast: teh route where water moves through the cytoplasm in a plant (does it move through teh cell walls?)

Vacuolar: the route where water moves through the cytoplasm and vacuoles (does it move through the cell wall?)
Apoplast = movement of water through the cell wall between adjacent cells by cohesion.

Symplast = movement of water through the cytoplasm down a water potential gradient

Vacuolar = movement of water by the symplast pathway, but without crossing the cell membranes.
blueham1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Apoplast = movement of water through the cell wall between adjacent cells by cohesion.

Symplast = movement of water through the cytoplasm down a water potential gradient

Vacuolar = movement of water by the symplast pathway, but without crossing the cell membranes.
6 years ago ik, so this is a very long shot - but that last definition about the vacuolar pathway: how does that even work? How does something enter a cell without crossing the cell membrane? Does it use the plasmodesmata (because shouldn't the symplast pathway be the one using the plasmodesmata?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads