Advice for starting A Levels?

Watch
_rhiax
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've heard the jump from GCSE's to A Levels is a big one so I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on how to stay organised, revision, taking notes etc. I've chosen to do Law, Psychology & Health and Social Care (A Level not BTEC Lv3). Law and Psychology are 100% exams and Health and Social Care is 60% coursework. I'm hoping to gain some advice from those who do exam-subjects and coursework subjects. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lau14
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _rhiax)
I've heard the jump from GCSE's to A Levels is a big one so I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on how to stay organised, revision, taking notes etc. I've chosen to do Law, Psychology & Health and Social Care (A Level not BTEC Lv3). Law and Psychology are 100% exams and Health and Social Care is 60% coursework. I'm hoping to gain some advice from those who do exam-subjects and coursework subjects. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How big the jump is really depends on the subject (and you've chosen subjects that aren't commonly available at GCSE anyway), but general tips on starting sixth form:

Do your homework the day you get it where possible - getting into good habits with it now is so much easier than having to deal with it if/when your homework load increases later on in the year (plus your teachers will be happier). You'll eventually be able to figure out how long each subject's homework will actually take and do it whenever you want, but leaving it until the night before it's due and finding out that it'll take 3-4 hours is not fun.

Keep your notes for each subject filed properly, and make sure they're actually decent notes in the first place. This will make your job 10x easier when it comes to revising for exams!

Go talk to your teachers if you're struggling - it's their job to help you, and there will likely be specific support times for students to go get help. Once again, easier to fix things now than deal with them closer to exams when you can't really remember studying this topic anyway.

For coursework, as with homework, don't leave it until the last minute (this sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed at what people think is a good idea). You'll likely have internal deadlines set by your college for sections of it I think (at least, that's what I've heard from my friends who take Health and Social. Your college might do it differently, but if you're ever confused about what you have to do ask your teacher).

If you want to make your revision easier, spending even 10 minutes a week reading back over what you've done in each subject will help it stick in your mind. Some very organised people also make revision notes as they finish each topic so that when it's closer to exams they're ready to go.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.11%
October 2021 (189)
46.32%
November 2021 (42)
10.29%
December 2021 (53)
12.99%
January 2021 (44)
10.78%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.31%