The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances?

I was just wondering what type of health problems count as extenuating circumstances when applying to university? For the past few months I've been having problems with my heart - palpitations, irregular heartbeat etc. After numerous tests I've been diagnosed with having Vasovagal attacks and possibly POTS syndrome (they're investigating this further). Having this condition had lead to me having panic attacks in class and especially situations like exams. In the mocks I panicked and my heartbeat was going crazy so I couldn't focus on the questions in front of me at all. I'm not in any way using my health condition ad an excuse but I was wondering would this count as EC because I can't perform to the best of my abilities. I find it so hard to reduce my heart rate and calm myself down because I'm constantly aware of my heart against my ribcage. Then my hands get sweaty and my BP drops too which sometimes leads to dizziness, fatigue and fainting. Should I inform my sixth form so they can help me out?
Sorry for the lengthy post! Would be grateful to anyone who can help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21
I was just wondering what type of health problems count as extenuating circumstances when applying to university? For the past few months I've been having problems with my heart - palpitations, irregular heartbeat etc. After numerous tests I've been diagnosed with having Vasovagal attacks and possibly POTS syndrome (they're investigating this further). Having this condition had lead to me having panic attacks in class and especially situations like exams. In the mocks I panicked and my heartbeat was going crazy so I couldn't focus on the questions in front of me at all. I'm not in any way using my health condition ad an excuse but I was wondering would this count as EC because I can't perform to the best of my abilities. I find it so hard to reduce my heart rate and calm myself down because I'm constantly aware of my heart against my ribcage. Then my hands get sweaty and my BP drops too which sometimes leads to dizziness, fatigue and fainting. Should I inform my sixth form so they can help me out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant say for definite but it certainly does sound like extenuating circumstances. bring it to the attention of your school and seek their advice
If it has had a significant effect on your academic performance, then you should talk to your school and ask them to contact the university on your behalf. If the info comes via your school then it will be taken much more seriously.
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
If it has had a significant effect on your academic performance, then you should talk to your school and ask them to contact the university on your behalf. If the info comes via your school then it will be taken much more seriously.

It has effected me academically to the point where half way through assessments I'm having to leave the classroom to get my breathing even. And this usually takes about 20 minutes and I have to do certain exercises to get the blood flowing to my brain again.
Also when I inform school will I need to take a letter from my GP as proof or will I not need it?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
I cant say for definite but it certainly does sound like extenuating circumstances. bring it to the attention of your school and seek their advice

Thanks I'll talk to them after half term. When applying for university though will it hinder my chances at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21
Thanks I'll talk to them after half term. When applying for university though will it hinder my chances at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if it will but perhaps you shouldn't go to university until you feel ready. Otherwise you may find it happens again and you'll be paying a lot of money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21

Posted from TSR Mobile

the whole idea of extenuating circumstances is to put you in a position that you don't lose out because of your condition. as a result sometimes extra time is given or in some circumstances the marks can be increased. exactly what will happen in your case I don't know. you would need a letter from your doctor outlining the circumstances. it certainly seems from your comments that exam stress may make your position worse. this is also likely to affect you at uni. hopefully your doctor can provide treatment to help you overcome this. there is the question whether you should go to uni now or wait until your condition is under control. this is something that needs medical advice and is something most here would be unable to comment on. the only way I can see it will hinder your chances is if don't do as well as expected and that is why your school needs to be informed of your circumstances
Original post by Cpie21
It has effected me academically to the point where half way through assessments I'm having to leave the classroom to get my breathing even. And this usually takes about 20 minutes and I have to do certain exercises to get the blood flowing to my brain again.
Also when I inform school will I need to take a letter from my GP as proof or will I not need it?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The school will set their own requirements for any proof - there's no universal standard.
Reply 8
Original post by reallydontknow
I don't know if it will but perhaps you shouldn't go to university until you feel ready. Otherwise you may find it happens again and you'll be paying a lot of money

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i understand where you're coming from - I'm taking a gap year anyway so hopefully by the time I go uni it'll be better
Reply 9
the whole idea of extenuating circumstances is to put you in a position that you don't lose out because of your condition. as a result sometimes extra time is given or in some circumstances the marks can be increased. exactly what will happen in your case I don't know. you would need a letter from your doctor outlining the circumstances. it certainly seems from your comments that exam stress may make your position worse. this is also likely to affect you at uni. hopefully your doctor can provide treatment to help you overcome this. there is the question whether you should go to uni now or wait until your condition is under control. this is something that needs medical advice and is something most here would be unable to comment on. the only way I can see it will hinder your chances is if don't do as well as expected and that is why your school needs to be informed of your circumstances

I hope I get some consideration because I can't help it when this happens and I feel like it shouldn't be held against me.
Yeah I'll get a letter from my GP anyway. And I'm taking a gap year out so it'll hopefully help.
Thanks for your reply!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Origami Bullets
The school will set their own requirements for any proof - there's no universal standard.

Okay I'll check with my head of year then. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I suffer from POTS, and like you have had an extremely difficult time with exams and such. I missed a huge part of my school life, and my GCSEs were impacted. I struggled with my chemistry AS, as I was extremely poorly before one of the exams, and therefore got a C where all my others were A and B!

I spoke extensively to my school, and they wrote a cover letter with my health details and I also declared a disability (long term chronic health problem) on my UCAS form.

My advice for you would to be contact the unis immediately, as they have been extremely understanding and given me offers to reflect my circumstances. I did have to send off medical evidence to Bristol, but every other uni hasn't asked for it.

I hope you keep well, I know how horrendously poorly POTS and the like can make you feel!

:smile:
I have arrhythmia, panic attacks etc. but I don't get extra time for it. I wasn't aware it was classified as an extenuating circumstance however I cbb to get a doctors note for that.
Mine doesn't sound as severe as yours though.
Reply 13
Original post by finchieface
Hello! I suffer from POTS, and like you have had an extremely difficult time with exams and such. I missed a huge part of my school life, and my GCSEs were impacted. I struggled with my chemistry AS, as I was extremely poorly before one of the exams, and therefore got a C where all my others were A and B!

I spoke extensively to my school, and they wrote a cover letter with my health details and I also declared a disability (long term chronic health problem) on my UCAS form.

My advice for you would to be contact the unis immediately, as they have been extremely understanding and given me offers to reflect my circumstances. I did have to send off medical evidence to Bristol, but every other uni hasn't asked for it.

I hope you keep well, I know how horrendously poorly POTS and the like can make you feel!

:smile:

Hi, thanks for replying!
I'm going to speak to my school after this half term so hopefully they can help.
Can I ask how you deal with it? There's so many times during class I feel sick and dizzy but I'm not really sure on how to calm myself? I've been given some exercises and I've been told to sit in certain ways etc but was wondering how you deal with it?
I also suffer from GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) which means I wake up with regularly with migraines etc so having these attacks just makes me feel rubbish. Anything would be helpful in dealing with it.
Thanks again and I hope your health improves!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
I have arrhythmia, panic attacks etc. but I don't get extra time for it. I wasn't aware it was classified as an extenuating circumstance however I cbb to get a doctors note for that.
Mine doesn't sound as severe as yours though.

If it affects your education in any way then it could class as an EC. I have arrhythmia with tachycardia too but with POTS or vasovagal attacks I'm more prone to fainting, dizziness and my blood pressure drops regularly. With this condition there's also a symptom called 'brain fog' which mean I find it hard to concentrate because my brain receives less blood than it should. It just makes me harder to focus in class and in exams etc.
If your condition does affect your studies then its worth talking to your school about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21
Hi, thanks for replying!
I'm going to speak to my school after this half term so hopefully they can help.
Can I ask how you deal with it? There's so many times during class I feel sick and dizzy but I'm not really sure on how to calm myself? I've been given some exercises and I've been told to sit in certain ways etc but was wondering how you deal with it?
I also suffer from GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) which means I wake up with regularly with migraines etc so having these attacks just makes me feel rubbish. Anything would be helpful in dealing with it.
Thanks again and I hope your health improves!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm honest, I felt totally poorly every day until I was officially diagnosed as I wasn't recieving any treatment. But, until then, drinking lots of water (I drink 3 litres a day), upping salt intake, compression stockings and squeezing stress balls all helped me loads just to up my blood pressure. If you'd like, you could send me your email address and my mum has got an American package for POTS suffers which has extra tips for coping at school, and I could send that to you.

Interestingly I also suffer from extremely severe anxiety and have many panic attacks throughout the day (I think many of these things are linked!!). I have informed school of this, and they let me leave the classroom and go and sit somewhere quiet for a few minutes which helps me sometimes. I get extra time for my exams, so just in case I feel really bad or my mind fog/anxiety is bad, I have some time to calm myself. I also have learnt some techniques for stopping hyperventilating, so I have time to do that in exams!

If you have any other questions I am more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by finchieface
If I'm honest, I felt totally poorly every day until I was officially diagnosed as I wasn't recieving any treatment. But, until then, drinking lots of water (I drink 3 litres a day), upping salt intake, compression stockings and squeezing stress balls all helped me loads just to up my blood pressure. If you'd like, you could send me your email address and my mum has got an American package for POTS suffers which has extra tips for coping at school, and I could send that to you.

Interestingly I also suffer from extremely severe anxiety and have many panic attacks throughout the day (I think many of these things are linked!!). I have informed school of this, and they let me leave the classroom and go and sit somewhere quiet for a few minutes which helps me sometimes. I get extra time for my exams, so just in case I feel really bad or my mind fog/anxiety is bad, I have some time to calm myself. I also have learnt some techniques for stopping hyperventilating, so I have time to do that in exams!

If you have any other questions I am more than happy to help :smile:

Argh I don't want compression socks :'( .. I've been told to increase my fluids and salt uptake too. When I start feeling panicky I usually go out of class and sit down somewhere and clench my calves etc but in exams I don't want to waste time so I just end up rushing through it :frown:
My anxiety is getting worse because I'm stressing more about exams so my GPs given me some websites to go on and she's told me to try meditating etc so hopefully it'll help.
Could you pm me and I'll give you my email? I'd love any help with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cpie21
Argh I don't want compression socks :'( .. I've been told to increase my fluids and salt uptake too. When I start feeling panicky I usually go out of class and sit down somewhere and clench my calves etc but in exams I don't want to waste time so I just end up rushing through it :frown:
My anxiety is getting worse because I'm stressing more about exams so my GPs given me some websites to go on and she's told me to try meditating etc so hopefully it'll help.
Could you pm me and I'll give you my email? I'd love any help with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be honest with you I would have thought your GP might consider a course of antidepressants to help calm you down and stop you getting stressed. I know it is something they are reluctant to do this but as a temporary measure to get you through your exams it might help. I once saw a report that 1 in 4 university students suffer from stress related illness. I would suggest you discuss this again with your doctor. they take about 3 weeks to kick and need to be taken for at least 3 months and would take you past your exams
Reply 18
to be honest with you I would have thought your GP might consider a course of antidepressants to help calm you down and stop you getting stressed. I know it is something they are reluctant to do this but as a temporary measure to get you through your exams it might help. I once saw a report that 1 in 4 university students suffer from stress related illness. I would suggest you discuss this again with your doctor. they take about 3 weeks to kick and need to be taken for at least 3 months and would take you past your exams

My GP wants antidepressants to be the absolute last resort mainly because of the all the side effects. I also personally don't want to be reliant on medication at such a young age so I've not really bugged her about giving me some. Antidepressants are usually effective because they boost dopamine or serotonin levels in the brain. My levels are fine atm so things like therapy are more likely to be effective than pills.
Also, my cardiologist suggested I might get beta blockers to slow down my heart rate so I really don't want to be adding on to my list.
Thanks for your suggestion though and if things get really bad I'll consider medication.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending