When are we supposed to start revising?! Watch

emyJT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok, I'm kind of confused.. It's now half term and I have been told by others that apparently this is our last holiday where we kind of get to chill out for a bit (we have homework to do though). My gcses start in May and I don't know when to revise.. then again I am one of those people who learn stuff really quickly, I'm talking about learning things the night before and still doing well (so grateful). However, I don't want to rely on that technique and I obviously need/want to revise thoroughly for my exams. To get into my sixth form school I need at least 4 A/A* the rest B's.

PLEASE TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD START!/ ANY ADVICE ON REVISION.
CplSkippy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I'm in exactly the same position.

My plan is to do all my prep this week and recharge my batteries, because I don't want to burn out too early...plus, May is a while away. I have a six week term when I go back, and then 3/4 weeks at Easter, when I plan to revise, followed by 3 weeks back at school and then study leave.

To be honest, what you learn now, is unlikely to stick with you until May or even June! Pick your worst subject or one or two you feel you need to work on, and do a little bit of work on them this week. Most importantly, enjoy your last week of freedom!

Skips

Posted from TSR Mobile
emyJT
Rep:
?
Hahah okay, thank you. Is Easter too late though?!
CplSkippy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really. Start doing a little bit each night after school once you go back after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Senpai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd start from now, 1-2 hours a day is enough honestly.
emyJT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Senpai)
I'd start from now, 1-2 hours a day is enough honestly.
The thing is, I revised really hard for my mocks and I have already completely and utterly forgotten everything I had revised. So, my concern is forgetting everything if I start too early.
Senpai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emyJT)
The thing is, I revised really hard for my mocks and I have already completely and utterly forgotten everything I had revised. So, my concern is forgetting everything if I start too early.
Make notes for the things you don't understand, you don't need to completely start revising now.

I completed my notes for Biology, so when the test nears It's easier to revise and I'll realise I know alot of stuff just through reading in the past.
a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Start the week before Easter to warm up, then bosh the Easter holidays
thesarcasticone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emyJT)
This is exactly what my problem is, I learn things quickly, usually cramming a day or two before the exam does good for me, but I forget them just as quickly. But of course, since it is the gcses we're talking about, I'd say maybe start 2-3 weeks before the exams by starting on your weakest subject, then progress further BUT keep testing yourself in-between on what you've revised so far for e.g quizzing yourself randomly so you don't forget what you've learned and it remains fresh in your memory. At least that's what I do *shrugs*. Good luck revising!
Magistl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thesarcasticone)
This is exactly what my problem is, I learn things quickly, usually cramming a day or two before the exam does good for me, but I forget them just as quickly. But of course, since it is the gcses we're talking about, I'd say maybe start 2-3 weeks before the exams by starting on your weakest subject, then progress further BUT keep testing yourself in-between on what you've revised so far for e.g quizzing yourself randomly so you don't forget what you've learned and it remains fresh in your memory. At least that's what I do *shrugs*. Good luck revising!
Another neat move is to spend your last hour of every day going over the notes you revised during the day/previously. If it's the last thing you see before sleeping, it's highly likely you'll remember it well enough.
thesarcasticone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magistl)
Another neat move is to spend your last hour of every day going over the notes you revised during the day/previously. If it's the last thing you see before sleeping, it's highly likely you'll remember it well enough.
Oh yes, agreed! I've tried it a lot of times while cramming at the last minute. It works especially well if you've had a long day of revising, sleep on it, that provides time for your brain to process things.
_rhiax
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Realistically you should start preparing revision notes now ready for the Easter holiday to revise. I would suggest you think of what you'll revise from, whether it's flash cards, revision folder or just books & begin to prepare these. You're right, May is a while off but it'll soon come around! I would suggest starting to read some books you're studying in English, depending on how long it takes you to read a book. Also I would suggest completing lots of past papers for your subjects - this way you can use these to decide what areas need more work on. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?