Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So is all this right about transpiration?:

Transpiration is the loss of water by evaporation, from aerial parts of a plant (mainly the leaves)

How transpiration occurs:
Water moves into the leaves in the xylem, and moves to the spongy mesophyll cells by osmosis. The water evaporate on the surface of the spongy mesophyll cells and moves to the inter-cellular spaces between the spongy mesophyll cells. There are large air spaces between the spnogey mesophyll cells which help water vapor diffuse through the leaf tissue. As the water vapor accumulates inside the air spaces the water vapor potential rises in the leaf. When the water vapor potential in the leaf rises about the water vapor potential outside the leaf it diffuses out, down the water potential gradient.

So transpiration basically involves three stages:
  • Movement of water from xylem to mesophyll cells by osmosis
  • this water evaporates on the surface and moves to the intercellular spaces
  • diffuses out
Lighfy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
So is all this right about transpiration?:

Transpiration is the loss of water by evaporation, from aerial parts of a plant (mainly the leaves)

How transpiration occurs:
Water moves into the leaves in the xylem, and moves to the spongy mesophyll cells by osmosis. The water evaporate on the surface of the spongy mesophyll cells and moves to the inter-cellular spaces between the spongy mesophyll cells. There are large air spaces between the spnogey mesophyll cells which help water vapor diffuse through the leaf tissue. As the water vapor accumulates inside the air spaces the water vapor potential rises in the leaf. When the water vapor potential in the leaf rises about the water vapor potential outside the leaf it diffuses out, down the water potential gradient.

So transpiration basically involves three stages:
  • Movement of water from xylem to mesophyll cells by osmosis
  • this water evaporates on the surface and moves to the intercellular spaces
  • diffuses out
Correct
Tj789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Lighfy)
Correct
Tanx!
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's wats in the textbook...
Jmedi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes correct!
I also urge you to consider/revise the factors that will change the rate of transpiration.
It's common to be asked about and explain them. I can write them here but there should be a good explanation of the factors in your textbook.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads