Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.connexionscard.com/x/c/cxc.jsp?P1=ABCX

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a decent enough idea.

ReputationRep:
    aye- but should the money spent on implementing the scheme be used for other purposes? surely a better incentive to remain in school would be to abolish top up fees?

ReputationRep:
    good. I have one. it gives me free stuff for going to school, which I do anyway so...

ReputationRep:
    Stupid. Our college doesn't even run the scheme, we just got one free CD for being students, which we didn't find out about until after enrolment so it's not as if it's an incentive to carry on education. Waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    aye- but should the money spent on implementing the scheme be used for other purposes? surely a better incentive to remain in school would be to abolish top up fees?
    There are no fees for education at this level. Did you pay to go to college?
    Top up fees are for universities, that's a different debate.

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world yes but what alternative method of University funding can realistically be implemented?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    There are no fees for education at this level. Did you pay to go to college?
    Top up fees are for universities, that's a different debate.
    yes, I know, but it might be a better incentive for peole to not screw up their A-levels and to try for uni if they knew they weren't going to be landed with a huge debt at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    In an ideal world yes but what alternative method of University funding can realistically be implemented?
    how did they do it about 30- 40 years ago?

ReputationRep:
    yes, I know, but it might be a better incentive for peole to not screw up their A-levels and to try for uni if they knew they weren't going to be landed with a huge debt at the end of it.
    I don't think any 16 year old considering working after finishing GCSEs will look that far ahead. Besides, the money from this one scheme will not be anywhere near even 1% of the cost free university tuition would cost the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I don't think any 16 year old considering working after finishing GCSEs will look that far ahead. Besides, the money from this one scheme will not be anywhere near even 1% of the cost free university tuition would cost the government.
    it must cost a lot though- all the cards and point giving thingies (don't know what they're called) cost to manufacture, as well as the expense of distribution, buying the gifts or prizes etc. and employing the people to implement the scheme

ReputationRep:
    how did they do it about 30- 40 years ago?
    There were far fewer students. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    that card is a load of crap. ive got something like 8000 points and when u go on the site to get something most good things u have to enter a raffle for which u lose and your points go down. theres a few good things like free revision books for a straight point swap but they only have like 100 and they all finish within a hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    There were far fewer students. Simple.
    why are there many more now? is it better education/ larger population....?

ReputationRep:
    why are there many more now? is it better education/ larger population....?
    More universities, more courses. It used to be about 8% that went to Uni. Now its like 44% (about that at least). As such its about a 5- 600% increase in costs, with no increase in funding.

People may not liek top up fees - but they are the fairest way to get DESPARATELY needed funding for universities.

ReputationRep:
    On average you earn 500,000 more in your lifetime as a result of getting a degree which is roughly 10k more per working year; I don't understand why people complain so much about top up fees when you consider statistics like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajoruna)
    On average you earn 500,000 more in your lifetime as a result of getting a degree which is roughly 10k more per working year; I don't understand why people complain so much about top up fees when you consider statistics like that.
    Especially considering th erepayment is like £5 a week - its two happy meals for god's sake

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.