The Student Room Group

So, I failed an exam

How we doing all.

So, I got my Marks back last week and I had failed my only exam - which I knew was going to happen as I was stupidly naive about the whole thing.

I am studying Business and the module was for Financial Accounting - after I had picked it, the module co-coordinator actually said that Business students were actually not allowed to take FA because it is from the Accounting degree - but then wouldn't change me as it "was too late" (2 weeks into the module) and I "just had to deal with it".

I want to go on and get a Masters and having Economics & Accounting modules is very desirable, and I already have 3 Economics and 2 Accounting modules under my belt, all with no lower than a B1 (2 A's, 3 B1's), hence the reason I decided to take FA.

The exam was on January 12, but I was working heavily over December and was away at Christmas and when I got back, there was shed-loads of overtime in my work, so I picked up 30+ hours and didn't actually start studying until the morning of January 7th.

So I got 28% (very low yes, but I actually done better than I expected, lol), 2 marks away from a bare minimum pass to not sit the exam again.

Do you think the guy is able to "find" me these 2 marks in order to push me over the threshold as I was never meant to take the module anyway and also looks good for him, another person passes the exam?

Say I don't get the 2 marks and fail the resit in August (touch wood I don't), would I have any sort of appeal against this since I shouldn't technically have been allowed to sit the module in the first place?

I have emailed my personal tutor but as they are off sick just now, I thought I'd post here and see what the community said.

Cheers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lewis-Glasgow
Do you think the guy is able to "find" me these 2 marks in order to push me over the threshold as I was never meant to take the module anyway and also looks good for him, another person passes the exam?

Can you have your exam mark arbitrarily increased for no reason at all? Of course not. Exam marks which count towards your degree go through second marking, external marker checks and are ratified by the uni's exam board. It's not like school, where one person marks your work. There are a whole set of staff, checks and processes involved.

Say I don't get the 2 marks and fail the resit in August (touch wood I don't), would I have any sort of appeal against this since I shouldn't technically have been allowed to sit the module in the first place?

No. You can only appeal if you believe there has been an irregularity in the exam marking.

An appeal based in the fact that you shouldn't gave been taking the module at all, will just be laughed out. Presumably if you'd had a good mark in the exam, you wouldn't be making an issue of it. If you felt that strongly about it, you should have escalated it at the start of the module. As you chose the module to begin with, anybody reviewing an appeal will dismiss that aspect immediately.

The bottom line is that you didn't revise for the exam and you failed. Take some responsibility for you own (in)action. If you fail the resit in August, you'll be looking at retaking the module next year (as long as you don't fail any more).
Thanks for the informative post.

Like I said in my original post, I hold my hands up completely and admit 100% that it was my own fault that I failed the exam; yes if I studied harder, say at the start of December and got a solid month of study then I'm sure I wouldn't be in the situation I am currently in :smile:

Getting the finger out for the last part of the year and passing everything first time round like I have up until this point is my main objective and get a solid 2 months study for the exam.

Again, thank you for the reply, much appreciated, I was only clutching at straws :smile:
Original post by Lewis-Glasgow
How we doing all.

So, I got my Marks back last week and I had failed my only exam - which I knew was going to happen as I was stupidly naive about the whole thing.

I am studying Business and the module was for Financial Accounting - after I had picked it, the module co-coordinator actually said that Business students were actually not allowed to take FA because it is from the Accounting degree - but then wouldn't change me as it "was too late" (2 weeks into the module) and I "just had to deal with it".

I want to go on and get a Masters and having Economics & Accounting modules is very desirable, and I already have 3 Economics and 2 Accounting modules under my belt, all with no lower than a B1 (2 A's, 3 B1's), hence the reason I decided to take FA.

The exam was on January 12, but I was working heavily over December and was away at Christmas and when I got back, there was shed-loads of overtime in my work, so I picked up 30+ hours and didn't actually start studying until the morning of January 7th.

So I got 28% (very low yes, but I actually done better than I expected, lol), 2 marks away from a bare minimum pass to not sit the exam again.

I have emailed my personal tutor but as they are off sick just now, I thought I'd post here and see what the community said.

Cheers.

you could launch an appeal your SU should advise you how to do this, it is safer than a remark because they will take the higher mark.
On my course we can get compensated passes for non-core modules eg pass mark is 40% and if we get 38% on one non-core then they will give us a compensated pass so we can continue on with the degree.

Is it possible you can get something like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I would update this thread;

I received an email from a lecturer who wanted to discuss my mark as it was nearly a pass and they wanted to see where I went wrong, so we arranged a meeting.

He presumed I was on the Accounting degree and was visually shocked when I told him that I was in fact a Business student doing that particular module, his reply was "why did they allow you to continue?" and even said to me "you will struggle regardless of how much study you put in as this module is made up of the past 2 years, ie Financial Accounting in first year and Financial Accounting 2 in second year".

He has recommended that I email the Course Co-coordinator who will determine what happens next - I told him that I don't mind doing a re-sit as I will just study, study, study but he was very honest about how hard it would be since I have no prior knowledge and even agrees it would be unfair for me to have to re-sit the entire module again next year if I were to fail in August.

Guess this is a very big wake up call that I should have gotten the finger out when it mattered :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending