• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Hey guys

This thread is to discuss the upcoming English Literature exam
    LTA1B- World War One Literature

How is everyone's revision going?
    What texts have you been doing for your wider reading and coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - does anyone have any predictions for the exam? Wider reading and/or poetry!?

As I understand, 'The Women Question' is most likely to come up - as in, "How far does the presentation of women....etc"
    Anyone think the same/different?

ReputationRep:
    Also, for those doing the Stallworthy collection, here is a breakdown of every previous theme for the poetry section that has been examined:

June 2014: "War is Hell"
    June 2013: Shortness of the soldier’s life
    January 2013: Lack of originality or innovation
    June 2012: The greatest war poetry is anti-war
    January 2012: Brutality of war
    June 2011: Difference in views between men and women
    January 2011: Moving and effective poetry is written by young men who were killed in WW1
    June 2010: The poetry is in the pity
    January 2010: "Anti-heroic" poetry

ReputationRep:
    When our moderator came into school earlier this year, he predicted that the wider reading question would be about the first day of the Battle of the Somme. He predicted last years question correctly, yet this was his first time in doing so...
    Hope this gives you an idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.Heasman)
    When our moderator came into school earlier this year, he predicted that the wider reading question would be about the first day of the Battle of the Somme. He predicted last years question correctly, yet this was his first time in doing so...
    Hope this gives you an idea...
    Did your moderator mention anything else about this upcoming paper such as the general mood of questions or what form the context question will be? I think it'll probably be a letter or form of cultural commentary however of course we can't be sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustHolly)
    Did your moderator mention anything else about this upcoming paper such as the general mood of questions or what form the context question will be? I think it'll probably be a letter or form of cultural commentary however of course we can't be sure!
    I don't remember him saying anything else specific to this year. His main focus was on the importance of planning and ensuring you have a definite line of argument before starting. Ooh and also making sure you have an interesting beginning and ending... Obviously don't start with "In this essay..." or anything like that. He also said to stay clear of the phrase "This means..." or "This highlights..." as you often go into irrelevant details and lose the initial line of argument. If you're anything like me, that's my issue! I waffle, but usually about the wrong thing!

ReputationRep:
    What poems do you think will come up from Robert Frost and W H Auden? And what questions do you think will come up that revolve around the books 'The Great Gatsby' and 'The Road'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.Heasman)
    I don't remember him saying anything else specific to this year. His main focus was on the importance of planning and ensuring you have a definite line of argument before starting. Ooh and also making sure you have an interesting beginning and ending... Obviously don't start with "In this essay..." or anything like that. He also said to stay clear of the phrase "This means..." or "This highlights..." as you often go into irrelevant details and lose the initial line of argument. If you're anything like me, that's my issue! I waffle, but usually about the wrong thing!
    Lol! I think that's all English Literature students' issue! Who knows if what we're saying is about the right thing!?

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it! Good luck for the exam!

ReputationRep:
    Lol! I think that's all English Literature students' issue! Who knows if what we're saying is about the right thing!?

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it! Good luck for the exam!
    Haha that's okay! I feel like it's more luck than techniques sometimes!Good Luck to you too! Hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicmusic)
    Also, for those doing the Stallworthy collection, here is a breakdown of every previous theme for the poetry section that has been examined:

June 2014: "War is Hell"
    June 2013: Shortness of the soldier’s life
    January 2013: Lack of originality or innovation
    June 2012: The greatest war poetry is anti-war
    January 2012: Brutality of war
    June 2011: Difference in views between men and women
    January 2011: Moving and effective poetry is written by young men who were killed in WW1
    June 2010: The poetry is in the pity
    January 2010: "Anti-heroic" poetry
    Any ideas on what it would be this year??

ReputationRep:
    So i'm just asking for advice here, but this year teachers haven't really broken down the AO's for us...

My concern is on the first question - what's the difference between AO3 and AO4??

How can I maximize marks in these areas?

For example... say i'm talking about the writers feelings of hatred towards the war (from the extract)

and i wanted to bring in some wider reading... id usually compare the attitudes, and not much else more.... would i need to talk about the form, language and structure of my wider reading choice..?

I mean i've been comparing on attidues plainly throughout the year, and i dont think ive gone lower than a B...

ReputationRep:
    My concern is on the first question - what's the difference between AO3 and AO4??
    AO3 is more about comparing the extract to wider reading and including alternative interpretations of it, AO4 is focusing on how the context of the extract (e.g. historical context, social context) affects how the thoughts/feelings could be interpreted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiLRS)
    AO3 is more about comparing the extract to wider reading and including alternative interpretations of it, AO4 is focusing on how the context of the extract (e.g. historical context, social context) affects how the thoughts/feelings could be interpreted

okay so, say theres an anti-war extract from some dude in 1916....

Would this be right...

'Presenting anti-war views in the extract, written in 1916, may have caused uproar at the time. However, the similar anti-war views in Regeneration by Pat Barker would have been presented with less consequences, as the book was published a good 80 years later'

AO3

A04

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - does anyone have any predictions for the exam? Wider reading and/or poetry!?

As I understand, 'The Women Question' is most likely to come up - as in, "How far does the presentation of women....etc"

hi do you think it would mention anything about the actual women poets or just the presentation of women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW-19--)
    okay so, say theres an anti-war extract from some dude in 1916....

Would this be right...

'Presenting anti-war views in the extract, written in 1916, may have caused uproar at the time. However, the similar anti-war views in Regeneration by Pat Barker would have been presented with less consequences, as the book was published a good 80 years later'

AO3

A04

Yes, that would be fine, but remember to say why it would have caused uproar and give evidence of Barker's anti-war views. I'm resitting the exam tomorrow, good luck to all of you!!!!

ReputationRep:

Which anthology are you referring to? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenniferaniston)
    hi do you think it would mention anything about the actual women poets or just the presentation of women?
    The women poets defo! As the views of women have previously come up. 'Glory of Women' by Sassoon is a must if the women question does come up though!!

ReputationRep:
    Which anthology are you referring to? :P
    Jon Stallworthy's Oxford Book of War Poetry

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what to write about how the battle of the Somme affected poetry.

I know it changed Sassoon, but I don't know what poetry I'd use to show that!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it isn't women......

Are there any poems in the collection (apart from Rouen, which I can't make myself like) that actually pose an alternative view to women in war being futile, not understanding the lives of men, and relishing in their misfortunes?

Because The Hero by Sassoon, Glory of Women by Sassoon, Subalterns by Daryush and My sweet old etcetera by EE Cummings all seem to present the same view of women- so I'd find it difficult to form a balanced debate...

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.