Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys

This thread is to discuss the upcoming English Literature exam
LTA1C- The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature

How is everyone's revision going?
What texts have you been doing for your wider reading and coursework?

DrSerious
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
Hey guys

This thread is to discuss the upcoming English Literature exam
LTA1C- The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature

How is everyone's revision going?
What texts have you been doing for your wider reading and coursework?

Hey,

I'm doing Owen Sheers for the poetry section and Top Girls with The Color Purple for my coursework.

I like the coursework, because I can always improve my essays and give them a lot of time, but I am dreading the exam - my LIT teacher who is supposed to prepare me for the exam spends half the time blabbering about 'life' and 'preparing us for adulthood' instead of actually doing something useful, because 'that's what literature is about' :confused:. Well, fortunately literature is not my main subject, hopefully I'll manage to get a good grade.
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:lol:

My teacher went through a model answer for a 2012 paper and needless to say that this particular student got 88 marks out of 90 and included 9 different types of wider reading material - I am particularly scared :lol:
Little_ramblings
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We've been taught nothing on how to answer question 1 (the one you link to wider reading) and I'm freaking out!!!
muffin_selight
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have notes on Feminine Gospels if anyone is interested, send me a message with your email and I will forward them over to you
Cookie 123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just wondering, how are you going about doing revision for this exam ?

I've tried making mindmaps to revise the context and key quotes for wider reading but I don't know what kind of things would be helpful, any ideas ?
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have any quotes to do with sexuality in a poem?
Cookie 123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Valyrian)
Try looking at Owen Sheers' collection. The poems Night windows and song in particularly look at this.
Also, Little Red Cap by Carol Ann Duffy looks at the reversal of gender roles and presents women with control of their sexuality to men.
j0ydivision
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has any notes to send for 'Feminine Gospels', just to give me a few alternative interpretations to my own??
FindingHappiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Carol Ann Duffy's poetry tends to look at sexuality e.g White Writing is about the lack of legal legislation for homosexual couples prior to the 2003 Civil Partnerships Act. Also, you look at W. H Auden Funeral Blues.

In terms of sensuality black feminist writers like Maya Angelou tended to write about that in her collection Still I Rise? Possibly Alice Walker (but I haven't looked at her poetry so not too sure)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FindingHappiness)
Carol Ann Duffy's poetry tends to look at sexuality e.g White Writing is about the lack of legal legislation for homosexual couples prior to the 2003 Civil Partnerships Act. Also, you look at W. H Auden Funeral Blues.

In terms of sensuality black feminist writers like Maya Angelou tended to write about that in her collection Still I Rise? Possibly Alice Walker (but I haven't looked at her poetry so not too sure)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.Thank you

Do you have any plays to do with being a Refugee? Can't seem to think of any.
JDHOrchard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes.Thank you

Hi, it's going to be difficult to link to plays/poems/prose that address the DIRECT struggle for identity at hand. What I tend to find is best is if you take the theme and then link to that. For example, I've just finished doing th Dom Mullan (2013) paper about the Troubles in Ireland and so I connected the extract to Adrienne Rich's A School Among the Ruins as I stated how they were both examples of conflict causing a struggle for identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JDHOrchard)
Hi, it's going to be difficult to link to plays/poems/prose that address the DIRECT struggle for identity at hand. What I tend to find is best is if you take the theme and then link to that. For example, I've just finished doing th Dom Mullan (2013) paper about the Troubles in Ireland and so I connected the extract to Adrienne Rich's A School Among the Ruins as I stated how they were both examples of conflict causing a struggle for identity.Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes buddy I know but I want to try squeeze out as many as I can for my 12 retrospective themes which has 1 prose, poetry and plays in it, then it'll be also easy to interlink.
FindingHappiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes.Thank you

Erm not explicitly... I do know of plays that look at immigration and the American Dream though e.g A View from The Bridge by Arthur Miller and A Streetcar Named Desire which are both post WW2... I do remember hearing of a play about a boy who becomes separated from his parents when Pakistan becomes independent but I can't remember what it is called it was at the I of E talk this year x

Posted from TSR Mobile
FindingHappiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, it's going to be difficult to link to plays/poems/prose that address the DIRECT struggle for identity at hand. What I tend to find is best is if you take the theme and then link to that. For example, I've just finished doing th Dom Mullan (2013) paper about the Troubles in Ireland and so I connected the extract to Adrienne Rich's A School Among the Ruins as I stated how they were both examples of conflict causing a struggle for identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah examiners like it when you do that. I saw band 4 answers for that pastpaper which linked according to conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
JDHOrchard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone got any predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DrSerious
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone got any predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teachers say they think it's going to be something modern such as something about the war in Syria or what it means to be British.
JDHOrchard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What it means to be British!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ancienthistory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not excited for this examination! Thank goodness my coursework is of an acceptable grade as to catch me if I fall
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DrSerious)
My teachers say they think it's going to be something modern such as something about the war in Syria or what it means to be British.
What do you mean by 'What is means to be British'?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish