The Student Room Group

A2 coursework help

for my coursework, I have chosen The Black Cat (Edgar Allan Poe) and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson). I want to focus on the human psyche but cant think of a question! Any ideas pls?? :s-smilie:
From my experience: the simpler, the better.

A less specialized title allows you to talk about more things and incorporate a wider range of critical views/arguments.

Something like 'Explore/examine the presentation of the human psyche in...' is more than sufficient.

Remember to explore what you understand that to be (from a modern point of view), what that may be at the time of writing for the author (context) and therefore, for both (if you want to, there's no single rule) how you could argue the presentation depends on what definition you take.
Reply 2
Original post by Comeback
From my experience: the simpler, the better.

A less specialized title allows you to talk about more things and incorporate a wider range of critical views/arguments.

Something like 'Explore/examine the presentation of the human psyche in...' is more than sufficient.

Remember to explore what you understand that to be (from a modern point of view), what that may be at the time of writing for the author (context) and therefore, for both (if you want to, there's no single rule) how you could argue the presentation depends on what definition you take.

thank you, but im slightly confused on how I would create a debate for this question?
Original post by tvdfanatic
thank you, but im slightly confused on how I would create a debate for this question?

The biggest answer to your question is theme and "context" in terms of thematic relations between the two texts. So the theme (well it's a bit too wide for my liking but yours) is the "human psyche". Now you need to look at how is the human psyche presented/examined. Does both authors present them to be a product of the "self" or a product of society? I haven't read either texts, but assuming you have, you can answer that. From this point of view, like the other person said, then that's where you create your debate from. What are those texts meant to represent to a modern reader, and to that of a reader from their respective times? is the question you should be answering through your analysis if you so wish to choose the above title.
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
The biggest answer to your question is theme and "context" in terms of thematic relations between the two texts. So the theme (well it's a bit too wide for my liking but yours) is the "human psyche". Now you need to look at how is the human psyche presented/examined. Does both authors present them to be a product of the "self" or a product of society? I haven't read either texts, but assuming you have, you can answer that. From this point of view, like the other person said, then that's where you create your debate from. What are those texts meant to represent to a modern reader, and to that of a reader from their respective times? is the question you should be answering through your analysis if you so wish to choose the above title.

that's really helpful, thank you! ill definitely be using the bit about them being a product of the "self" or a product of society:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending