Reply 80
Original post by TheYates
A group within another group - here's my example I wrote earlier:

"Sub Grouping, take these texts as an example when grouping pragmatically:

Text A - Childs School Report
Text B - Health and Safety Poster
Text C - Letter to patient regarding an operation
Text D - Bank Statement

I'd group Texts A, B, C & D as they all writing to imform, (then waffle on about different linguistic techniques ect, how some use declaratives whilst others don't, modal verbs, chuck in abit of Grammar and Lexis for good measure)

The also sub group Texts, A, C and D as they are all for a narrow audience, Childs school report is only for child and parents, Op Letter only to the patient and Bank statement to the holder of the bank account. [At this point say how text B relates to them all but can't be put i nthe sub gorup] Whilst Text B's purpose is to inform, it is for a wide audience and can therefore not be grouped in the subgroup.

also remember to chuck in how it is difficult to group and how the subgroup shows the complexity of grouping texts (worth a couple of marks at least)"

So They are all to Inform, but 3 of the 4 have a narrow audience.

oh that makes sense, thank you!
Original post by HazMusicPanda
Does anyone have a checklist for theories/theorists for gender and power? Off the top of my head I can think
Gender: Lakoff, Tannen, Zimmerman and West (dominance theory, experiment with men and women conversations), Shuttleworth.
Power: Influential, Instrumental, Face theory (FTA), Political correctness.
I'm not too sure on the differences between Lakoff, Tannen and Shuttleworth. I get really confused! :P

Here are a few documents about Gender & Power Theorists, its not a definitive list but its the closest I could find
Reply 82
Original post by genieee
it takes me 10 minutes to annotate the texts for the groupings and another 5 to plan which groupings to choose, is this what everyone else does? also if i did groupings on purpose, graphology, a sentence type (e.g. imperatives) and something like proper nouns do you think this would be okay? obviously it depends on the texts but i seem to find this works for most. also everyone keeps going on about sub-groupings; what is this? is that just comparisons/ contrasts between the texts? :smile:

that sounds good. The way I do sub groupings is by saying why the texts may conflict against each other because that gets you into the 15-16 band
How should you actually structure it? You shouldn't speak about the texts in isolation, should you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by princesskimana
How should you actually structure it? You shouldn't speak about the texts in isolation, should you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In groupings, don't talk about texts on their own only in groups of 3 or perhaps 4 comparing them, as for structure I structure is as on the attachment (excuse the handwriting) Its down the right side, Pragmatics, Grammar with added detail.
(edited 8 years ago)
We've only been taught Gender and Technology, and I am confident with gender but TECHNOLOGY?!?!?! Anyone have ideas for technology. Also for groupings, are the groups supposed to be specific as in "modal verbs" or really vague like "audience", because i always go with specific but everyone else seems to do the latter?
Original post by CalistaJupiter
We've only been taught Gender and Technology, and I am confident with gender but TECHNOLOGY?!?!?! Anyone have ideas for technology. Also for groupings, are the groups supposed to be specific as in "modal verbs" or really vague like "audience", because i always go with specific but everyone else seems to do the latter?

Groups: With pragmatic groups, sure I've done audience before, and also modal verbs I think as long as you go into enough detail I think anything goes. As for technology good luck, I've avoided that one, so can't really help (only done Gender and Power)
Original post by buddy111
still sitting in bed?!

Shhhh lol :colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by CalistaJupiter
Also for groupings, are the groups supposed to be specific as in "modal verbs" or really vague like "audience", because i always go with specific but everyone else seems to do the latter?

groupings can be either - my teacher usually says that if they're wider you've got more to talk about but sometimes it can help you if you've got a tighter focus :smile:

--

how long does everyone usually spend on reading the texts & planning groupings before starting to write? i have literally no idea how long to spend on reading/planning
Reply 89
Original post by elsierose
groupings can be either - my teacher usually says that if they're wider you've got more to talk about but sometimes it can help you if you've got a tighter focus :smile:

--

how long does everyone usually spend on reading the texts & planning groupings before starting to write? i have literally no idea how long to spend on reading/planning

i usually spend 10mins frantically annotating each text and then another 5mins to decide on groupings, but i would never go over 15mins or go into detail planning otherwise i wouldn't be able to finish on time :smile:
Original post by elsierose

--

yeah, between 5 and 15 minutes, never more than 15 minutes. otherwise you end up planning for more than you can actually write. to save on time I actually plan and annotate as I go, and surprisingly I don't write alot as it seems a waste of time, I can simply remember most of the features by writing keywords on each text for example I may scrawl over it:

P - Inform
A - young boys
T - News Article
Features
+ A.S Lexis
+ Narrow Audience
+ Personal Pronouns & Direct Address

and that may be it, as I'll write this as I read it, and then this'll trigger back all the other things during the writing, its not too difficult to remember; its only 45 minutes from when you write it when you'll forget it to do part 2 :smile: and realistically you only need a few things from each text, as you don't want to overuse a text, and you'll only have time to write about a couple of linguistic techniques in detail from each text.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by buddy111
Synthetic personalisation relates to Fairclough.

It is the use of the second person personal pronoun "you" to directly address the reader- building a relationship as the reader feels that they are the target audience:smile:

So like "Are you going on holiday?" you? And I don't know a lot about Fairclough! I missed a few lessons for Power and was never filled in :/
So like "Are you going on holiday?" you? And I don't know a lot about Fairclough! I missed a few lessons for Power and was never filled in :/

Synthetic personalisation: How adverts grab the reader's attention. They create a relationship with the reader through techniques such as direct address and positive facework. Rather than sounding commercial, this makes the advert personal as they use presuppositions about the audience.
Member's resources: The advertiser uses what they already know about you and the ideas you bring with you that they can allude to. So for example if the advert was for makeup for teenage girls then they might have Taylor Swift on the advert as they would relate to her.
Implied reader: This is the stage when the reader genuinely thinks the text is talking to solely them and that it has been designed with them in mind.
Does anyone have a checklist for theories/theorists for gender and power? Off the top of my head I can think
Gender: Lakoff, Tannen, Zimmerman and West (dominance theory, experiment with men and women conversations), Shuttleworth.
Power: Influential, Instrumental, Face theory (FTA), Political correctness.
I'm not too sure on the differences between Lakoff, Tannen and Shuttleworth. I get really confused! :P

Tannen: Status vs support, independence vs intimacy, advice vs understanding, information vs feelings, orders vs proposals, conflict vs compromise
Lakoff: Female speech generally involves: hedges, superpolite forms, tag questions, empty adjectives, direct quotations, special lexicon, questioning intonation on statements, qualifiers, more apologies, weak expletives, cloaked imperatives, intensifiers, a lack of a sense of humour
Zimmerman & West: In a mixed sex conversation, men are more likely to interrupt than women. As women are interrupted more they tend to speak less frequently
Beattie: Disagrees with Z & W, says men and women interrupt with the same frequency
Fishman: Conversation between the sexes fails because of how men respond. Women ask more tag questions and hedges to get a response from them, not as a weakness.
Trudgill: Women are more likely to use prestige pronunciation and men more likely to use low prestige to appear tougher
Coates: All female conversation comes under house talk (exchange of information to do with female role), scandal (judging others), bitching (expression of anger at inferior status) (also this is a technical term so I'm not really sure what to do about swear filter here), or chatting (gossip)

Power:
Fairclough: All conversations are potentially unequal encounters. Also, synthetic personalisation, member's resources and implied reader
Sapir & Whorf: Sapir- language could affect people's view on reality. Whorf- language could affect people's actions. Brown and Lennenburg says that they do (not just could)
LeCercle: All questions are violent and put pressure on the receiver to answer
Althusser: Ideological state apparatuses use the following to influence people: audience positioning, interpellation/hailing, creating the ideal reader, pleasures of the text. They use message and code
Grice: Co-operation. Maxims of manner, quality, quantity and relevance. Can be broken through: violating the maxim, a clash in the maxim, flouting the maxim, opting out of the maxim
Original post by ktlw
I am finding it hard to improve my A01, i do really well in A02 and A03 but normally score around 8-9 for language features. Any tips? do i simply have to pick them out then analyse as i was doing before? also how are people approaching sub-groupings, are you doing full sub groups or just subtle differences?

Even if you don't go into a lot of detail about them all and focus on one technique, it's good to mention a few that are also used for the same effect. So for example you could talk about the meaning of a metaphor in detail, but say that it's emphasised by the use of alliteration and direct address. :smile:
Original post by genieee
it takes me 10 minutes to annotate the texts for the groupings and another 5 to plan which groupings to choose, is this what everyone else does? also if i did groupings on purpose, graphology, a sentence type (e.g. imperatives) and something like proper nouns do you think this would be okay? obviously it depends on the texts but i seem to find this works for most. also everyone keeps going on about sub-groupings; what is this? is that just comparisons/ contrasts between the texts? :smile:

The planning time is fine :h:
In relation to your groupings, the frameworks that carry the most marks are grammar, pragmatics and discourse structure (in that order), then lexis and semantics are equal, then register and mode, with phonology and graphology at the bottom. While they are all fine, you'll need a complex point to justify using graphology as a main grouping :smile:
What's a good structure for Categorizing texts ? like my teachers have told me to embed GAPFM ( Genre, Audience, Purpose, Formality, Mode) in my paragraphs but i dont really get it. Does anyone have a good paragraph structure?
:smile:))))) ThANks sssss
This exam is such BS I have no idea what is even going on
Original post by mathshatesme
What's a good structure for Categorizing texts ? like my teachers have told me to embed GAPFM ( Genre, Audience, Purpose, Formality, Mode) in my paragraphs but i dont really get it. Does anyone have a good paragraph structure?
:smile:))))) ThANks sssss

I use paragraph structure:

Pragmatics Group (Purpose of the Text)
Grammar Group (Find something grammar related to group them with)
Lexis/Semantics/Discourse Group (One of these three find something related to group them on
Continuum Group (formal or Informal, Permanent or Ephemeral, narrow or wide audience)
Any predictions for the technology question? I'm useless at gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending