BIMM Music College VS Leeds College of Music VS Dbs for Music Production Diploma?

Watch
Poll: Where would you go to study Music Performance or Production?
Leeds College of Music (4)
50%
BIMM The British and Irish Modern Music Institute (3)
37.5%
dBs Music (1)
12.5%
SAE (0)
0%
ingeniumlabs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have decided I want to study a Music Production Diploma before studying a Music degree and can't decide between BIMM (The British and Irish Modern Music Institute) or Leeds College of Music or Dbs.

I haven't been to the open days yet but will go before accepting an offer. If you've got experience studying at either of them can you tell me what the culture is like? I would be looking for somewhere where I can mix classical, modern music with modern EDM for film. I think Leeds would fit this criteria better than BIMM but I don't know.

Also Leeds is going to be less living costs than London correct? I don't think I'll be able to self fund living in London very well. Which college is held higher in regard to entering the electronic dance scene or being a music producer and composer? I'm going to be focussing mainly on electronic dance music production because its very marketable but also general music arrangements.

What else should I be thinking about when deciding where to go?

Hope this can be good reference for other prospective students.
ItsMichaeeel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Living in London's crazy expensive! It's not like somewhere like New York where you have to be a millionaire to have a decent quality of life, but it's still ridiculous. Leeds as a city's really culturally diverse, there's something for whatever kind of music you make and enjoy. It all has its place, from Funk to Jazz to Metal to sophisticated contemporary EDM. It's also pretty inexpensive too. I would suggest not staying at Joseph Stone's (LCM's main accom) as it's pretty expensive. Sure, it's right next to the College but I'd recommend one of the other accoms as they're far less expensive and still pretty nearby. dBs looks good for what you want to do, but it looks pretty small. I don't know what its link with the industry are like either. Have you looked at the other BIMMs in the UK too? They've always been vocal about their industry links. Another thing I'm thinking of is De Montfort in Leicester does a Music Technology and Innovation course, definitely check that out! That might be up your street.

Hope I've helped!
ingeniumlabs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for the help! You're right dBs looks too small. I've applied for just LCM. BIMM doesn't offer a level 3 diploma anywhere else but London!! So hoping my application is successful.
Leeds Conservatorie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by futureiseducate79)
Thanks for the help! You're right dBs looks too small. I've applied for just LCM. BIMM doesn't offer a level 3 diploma anywhere else but London!! So hoping my application is successful.
Hiya,
After seeing your post I got in touch with one of our Music Production graduates to see if he could give you a flavour of what it's like to study at LCoM. What he says is mostly focused on the BA (hons) but hopefully it will give you a bit of an idea of what it's like here.
Let me know if you've got any questions
Jemma

I graduated from Leeds College of Music last summer (2014), having studied on the BA Music Production pathway. I hope my experience from the degree helps and answers a few questions.

I found LCoM to be a very friendly, personal and productive environment for developing my musical and technical abilities. As it’s a fairly small institute I got to know a lot of people across the different pathways, making it very easy to collaborate with performers across a really wide range of genres. Collaboration is encouraged throughout the courses – it’s a requirement to produce recordings in several styles for the first two years of the degree, and students on the other pathways quite often look for recordings. All of the production lecturers (even the ones who didn’t teach me!) knew my name, and several knew what I was getting up to outside of my degree work and would ask me about things regularly – they were genuinely interested in how my career was developing.

A lot of emphasis is placed on the atmosphere of studio sessions and working with artists to get the right environment and performance alongside a technically good recording which led to much better results than anything I had done previously. The film music modules are taught well, and brought several techniques and tips into the limelight that I had not previously considered. I got a lot out of the business seminars and lectures, learning about marketing, promotion and self-employment/business management really helped my confidence for “post-degree life” grow. Being a music producer has become a portfolio career – where there’s plenty of work, but not many jobs, so learning about the business side of things was really beneficial. Electronic music was taught more towards the second and third years, but can be incorporated throughout the course.

The facilities are great. There’s a wide variety of acoustically treated mixing rooms including a 5.1 surround sound suite which was perfect to test film audio mixes on. The microphone choice is great, and the studios are fantastic , particularly the 3rd year studio which has an SSL G-series in. I’ve heard they rebuilt two of the studios this year. Apparently they’re brilliant! Around exam time was made a lot easier as the studios and mixing rooms are open until 3am, which saved a lot of stress! The support staff are also very friendly and helpful.

Leeds is generally a very safe city, and there’s plenty going on for students. It’s a massive student city, so cheap housing is pretty easy to find, and there’s a good nightlife so getting your tracks out to local DJ’s should be quite easy. I found I got a fair bit of work as a DJ in Manchester, so being relatively close to there was a great help!

For what you’re looking to do, I think LCoM would be a good fit. The integration of the film music modules and resources available for film music would be good for you, as well as the option to work with classical musicians and record them for your soundtracks! I’d definitely recommend studying at Leeds College of Music, and definitely go to an open day! That’s what really sold the place for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads