Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ahsin59)
Hi i want to self study at AAT Level 2 and i would like to know which books i buy like Osborne. Kaplan or other company to help me pass my AAT Level 2
I've used both and I prefer Kaplan. Osborne are cheaper though and are still good (+ you get a free online copy with Osborne which can be handy).
liciadegoa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Scoobiedoobiedoo I'm quite new to this forum and trying to work my way out. I found your info on the threads very helpful and practical, as I myself was planning to do the course through a distance provider. with tips from you I am now adamant on buying the workbooks from Osborne and pursuing it on my own. I do have a few queries though.
Do i need to answer level 2 exam to pursue level3 or can i do level 3 after just studying level2?
Also how did you go about studying the accounting software and which one did you do?
Scoobiedoobiedo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by liciadegoa)
Hi Scoobiedoobiedoo I'm quite new to this forum and trying to work my way out. I found your info on the threads very helpful and practical, as I myself was planning to do the course through a distance provider. with tips from you I am now adamant on buying the workbooks from Osborne and pursuing it on my own. I do have a few queries though.
Do i need to answer level 2 exam to pursue level3 or can i do level 3 after just studying level2?
Also how did you go about studying the accounting software and which one did you do?
You don't need to sit level 2 before 3, you don't even need to study for level 2 before 3, you could start at level 3. Level 2 provides a good basis for level 3, although all relevant information from level 2 is covered in level 3, it's just summarised as a tad.

For example double entry bookkeeping is summarised in level 3 preparing accounts for sole traders and partnerships, where as there is a whole module for double entry bookkeeping at level 2.

Personal preference as to whether you should do it, depends on your comprehension and confidence. I started with level 2, although with the benefit of hindsight I wish I had started at level 3

You can download a free trial of Sage from their website, you can also "find" free practice copies online. I did my exam at kaplan, they used Sage (guessing they still do)

Check out:
http://forums.aat.org.uk/
http://www.accountingtools.com/
liciadegoa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks a ton scoobiedoobiedoo your a star 🌟!!!!
HSSG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi have you started your AAT Level 2 self study? If not where do you live? I have package for AAT which I paid for and you can study with me, and then you can only pay your exam fee to sit for an exam. I need someone to motivate me in studying.
lornahill93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My question to you would be.. why study aat level 2 and 3 when you already have a-level qualifications?

Lorna
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
Self studying for AAT level 2 & 3 is pretty easy. If you want to go down the self study route, you can simply buy some textbooks, self study and book exams with Kaplan as an external candidate. Plus there are lots of free resources online, kaplan have several free webinars, and there are lots of e-learning materials on the AAT website.

Personally I use Osborne Books,

Level 2 cost me £93 including delivery and level 3 cost me £104 including delivery.

Level 2 exams cost £305 and level 3 costs £424.

So all in to self study you're looking at:

Level 2: £398
Level 3: £528

I know at least with Kaplan, and I imagine it is the same with everybody, the course fees don't include exam fees. So you need to add the £305 and £424 on top of the £600-£800 fee for the course.

Distance learning courses cost £600-£800 and basically just include books, e-learning materials and email support. The books you can buy from Osborne for about £100, and there are large amounts of high quality free e-learning materials on line. You basically end up paying £500+ for email support.
Hi, can you clarify this please? Are you saying you did AAT level 2 just buying the books from Osborne and then paying for the exams separately some how?

I have contacted AAT and they seem to be saying you have to be registered with a "learning provider" in order to do the exam (Kaplan ask for an AAT learning number or something?) So as far as I can tell that means a minimum of signing up for an online course for which the feels are high.

I'm finding this a really confusing area to research, what with the multiple professional bodies and qualifications... then the multiple study providers each with wildly differing prices and each pushing to get your cash.
TMaster777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Scoobie.

Very impressive that you managed to complete Level 3 so fast. Did you have relevant practical accounting knowledge from the workplace that allowed you to complete Level 3 so quickly , and did you undertake the AQ2013 syllabus?

Did you use the Osborne Textbooks and Workbooks for every AQ2013 Level 2 and 3 unit and did you complete the Level 2 syllabus in 6 weeks without any practical workplace or previous theoretical accounting knowledge?

Find it hard to believe that you didn't know how to debit or credit, as this knowledge is integral to Level 3.

What resource did you use for the CBPs at Level 3 Professional Ethics and Spreadsheet Software? (as they have to be taken with a tuition provider).
Scoobiedoobiedo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TMaster777)
Scoobie.

Very impressive that you managed to complete Level 3 so fast. Did you have relevant practical accounting knowledge from the workplace that allowed you to complete Level 3 so quickly , and did you undertake the AQ2013 syllabus?

Did you use the Osborne Textbooks and Workbooks for every AQ2013 Level 2 and 3 unit and did you complete the Level 2 syllabus in 6 weeks without any practical workplace or previous theoretical accounting knowledge?

Find it hard to believe that you didn't know how to debit or credit, as this knowledge is integral to Level 3.

What resource did you use for the CBPs at Level 3 Professional Ethics and Spreadsheet Software? (as they have to be taken with a tuition provider).
I had zero knowledge/experience before I started AAT level 2 or 3. I wasn't working at the time, AAT was a way to get my first 'proper' job. I got my first finance/accounts job soon after I had completed level 3 (April 2015, so pretty soon after this thread).

For the Ethics and Spreadsheet software projects I used the Osbourne books, along with various free online resources. I sat the exams at Kaplan. They charged a £50 marking fee on top of the exam fee to sit the exam with them, without also doing the tuition.

I've since completed level 4; budgeting and financial statements as self study, work then offered me study support for the rest. I'm currently studying for my 3rd CIMA professional exam, with full study support too.
TMaster777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Scoobie.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just to confirm did you study on the AQ2013 syllabus for AAT Levels 2-4?

Also approximately how much private study time per week did you devote to each level?

Personally I find the Osborne books are good in some aspects of the syllabi but very dense and not user friendly in other areas, did you ever consider or examine materials by Kaplan, BPP and what did you think of them?

What would you say is the toughest unit for AQ2013 Level 3 and why?

You mention for the Ethics and Spreadsheet CBPs you used the Osborne books yet sat the exams with Kaplan. I am a little confused. I understood that the CBPs have to be taken with a training provider (as the Training Provider marks these units under AQ2013), so if you didn't undertake formal tuition with Kaplan how did they allow you to sit the CBPs with them?

Incidentally how long did it take you to complete Level 4 in terms of weeks, and who did you opt for study support for this Level and was this D/L. Live Online or face to face?

Finally just out of interest what company do you have study support with for CIMA and is this D/L, Live Online or face to face?
Scoobiedoobiedo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TMaster777)
Hi Scoobie.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just to confirm did you study on the AQ2013 syllabus for AAT Levels 2-4?

Also approximately how much private study time per week did you devote to each level?

Personally I find the Osborne books are good in some aspects of the syllabi but very dense and not user friendly in other areas, did you ever consider or examine materials by Kaplan, BPP and what did you think of them?

What would you say is the toughest unit for AQ2013 Level 3 and why?

You mention for the Ethics and Spreadsheet CBPs you used the Osborne books yet sat the exams with Kaplan. I am a little confused. I understood that the CBPs have to be taken with a training provider (as the Training Provider marks these units under AQ2013), so if you didn't undertake formal tuition with Kaplan how did they allow you to sit the CBPs with them?

Incidentally how long did it take you to complete Level 4 in terms of weeks, and who did you opt for study support for this Level and was this D/L. Live Online or face to face?

Finally just out of interest what company do you have study support with for CIMA and is this D/L, Live Online or face to face?
Yep, it was AQ2013.

It varied quite a bit, not all that much really as I picked it up relatively easily. The amount of time is less important than the quality of time; 2 hours after a long day at work is much less beneficial than 2 hours on a Saturday morning when you're fresh and focused.

I used Kaplan books for Financial Performance, Credit Control and ICAS, as I got copies through Kaplan when I was given study support. Hard to pick a favourite, I think they both do the job well enough.

I didn't find it all that difficult, but PETH was probably the most 'difficult', simply because it's all written and much more involved. I also think it's the most boring and it's hard to stay focused when studying.

CBP need to be marked by a training provider, who declares you competent to AAT. Kaplan charge for the service of a Kaplan employee marking the CBP, they then submit your work and mark to AAT, declaring you competent (if you pass).
You can book the exam, then then add on a marking charge on top of the exam fee, if you didn't do the course with them. They probably don't widely advertise that you can do that, as they want people to do the course with them.

Level 4 took about 9 months or so. Kaplan, classroom tuition. Our company gets 10% discount with Kaplan, so we do everything with them. I chose classroom because work are paying and I find it less distracting than being at home.

CIMA is through Kaplan, classroom.

If I were paying personally I wouldn't pay for tuition or live on line as I don't think it's worth it - as work pay, I'm not saying no to it.
msk786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello mate. where can i buy latest AAT level 2 books? or If uve got them can i purchase them from u please?
Mangomoscow
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I do the same thing. If you capable enough to study yourself, why to spend so much money? I know so many people who study ACCA and CIMA by themselves and do that successfully. When I have just started AAT I read on forum that you don't nerd even to do level 2, just go to level 3. But that asssums you already know a basic stuff.I hope that helps. Irina
Hollibear
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So to get started on self study of AAT L2, I buy some books and start reading? Do I need to register? I’m sure I read somewhere that I had to register before I could begin. Once I feel I have read and know enough about all the subjects I just book an exam at a local centre ?
Freddyness
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,
I work 52hours a week on average, I’ve just started my AAT level 2 I am 23% through the BTRN module. I’ve booked with Kaplan, and you can pay per month or you can pay in one lump sum. Far easier. And the is loads of support.
Freddyness
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hollibear)
So to get started on self study of AAT L2, I buy some books and start reading? Do I need to register? I’m sure I read somewhere that I had to register before I could begin. Once I feel I have read and know enough about all the subjects I just book an exam at a local centre ?
You need and AAT student number.
Hollibear
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Freddyness)
You need and AAT student number.
Thanks. I’ve gone with first institution as I can buy the modules individually and do it all as self study.
They said I just need to register with AAT to get a number prior to booking exams.
Freddyness
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hollibear)
Thanks. I’ve gone with first institution as I can buy the modules individually and do it all as self study.
They said I just need to register with AAT to get a number prior to booking exams.
It’s £129 for a year of being able to tack the exams.
Then £88 an exam.
You have 4 exams then the final synoptic exam
Rgoudie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I want to self study AAT Level 3 but im unsure how i will be able to book the exam that i need marking. can i pay an extra fee to have it marked by Kaplan as i read earlier that you can but that was from 4 years ago so i am unsure they still provide this service. If they do where can i find info on this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
23.76%
No, but I have thought about it (56)
27.72%
No (98)
48.51%

Watched Threads