Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In a book I read they are diseases caused by living organisms, doesn't mention anything about being able to transmit to people....so are they?
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The whole point of an infectious disease is that they're caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites and you 'get' the disease from them - hence the 'infectious' bit. However, some infectious diseases can be passed from person to person whether it be through bites or exposure.

So, not all infectious diseases can be passed from person to person however all infectious diseases are 'infectious' (you caught them from bacteria, fungi, viruses or parasites).
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Kyou)
The whole point of an infectious disease is that they're caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites and you 'get' the disease from them - hence the 'infectious' bit. However, some infectious diseases can be passed from person to person whether it be through bites or exposure.

So, not all infectious diseases can be passed from person to person however all infectious diseases are 'infectious' (you caught them from bacteria, fungi, viruses or parasites).
Tanx
NatashaW93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most infectious diseases are transmittable between people. Also animals (known as zoonotic diseases).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Synapsida
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When people say 'infectious', it means that the pathogens can transmit from one individual organism to another other. When the transmission occurs, it usually between two organism that are the same species because most organisms interact more with members of the same species then other species (unless your an apex predator that only interacts with your species when mating like Smilodon or you are an farmer). Also it is easier for pathogens to infect the nearby organism that belongs to the same species because it would probably face with the same or similar immune defences that the previous infected individual had hence increase it's chance of survival and potency for the host. This is especially true for pathogens like retro-viruses with need to hijack your genetic materials to multiply and needs to find an way to bind into your CT-4 receptors with attracting attention of lymphocytes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads