pineapplechemist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Use the fact that the mapping from subsets of R to [0,1] defined by A 7→ P(X ∈ A) defines a probability measure on R, together with properties of probability measures to prove the following. If X is a random variable and (xn;n ≥ 1) an unbounded increasing sequence of real numbers then lim n→∞ P(X ≤ xn) = 1.

Could do with a hint on this please: it seems fairly obvious but not sure how to go about a proof.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
Well, we're going to want to use some properties of probability measures (countable additivity always seems like a good bet). The first step is to define some sets A_n (there's a fairly obvious choice). Then we'll want to define some sets B_n in terms of the A_n which are disjoint.

Also, you can look at the 1 on the right-hand-side of the result we want. Where must it come from? It must come from our mapping P being a probability measure, and so P(the whole space) = P(R) = 1. Can we write R in terms of our sets defined above?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise