Noura*
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

So in June 2010 OCR F324 they ask you to write an equation between epoxyethane and ammonia. Pls someone tell me which part of the specification this is exactly- I've looked at amines and I can't find any explanation as to how this reaction would go about. any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Cadherin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Noura*)
Hello,

So in June 2010 OCR F324 they ask you to write an equation between epoxyethane and ammonia. Pls someone tell me which part of the specification this is exactly- I've looked at amines and I can't find any explanation as to how this reaction would go about. any help is appreciated. Thank you!
You know what OCR are like - expect stuff that'll make you think. In a reaction like this, you have to assume you'll get an alkanolamine.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OCR like to give you questions in which they feel there is enough information in the question to allow you to apply what you know from what is on the spec to a (stretch and challenge) question.

The trick to that Q is that you're given the structural formula of MEA, so you can see how epoxyethane reacts with ammonia. The Q specifically asks you to recognise the formation of a secondary amine, which isn't specifically on the spec.
Noura*
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Cadherin)
You know what OCR are like - expect stuff that'll make you think. In a reaction like this, you have to assume you'll get an alkanolamine.

(Original post by Pigster)
OCR like to give you questions in which they feel there is enough information in the question to allow you to apply what you know from what is on the spec to a (stretch and challenge) question.

The trick to that Q is that you're given the structural formula of MEA, so you can see how epoxyethane reacts with ammonia. The Q specifically asks you to recognise the formation of a secondary amine, which isn't specifically on the spec.
Thanks so much guys!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.49%
England (143)
34.79%
Belgium (31)
7.54%
Germany (41)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.43%