Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My dad was acting horrendously about my recent exam results (I actually got the best grades attainable) and I told him I was sick of him constantly doing that.

He's now told me to pack my things because he's taking me to the housing office tomorrow to make me homeless. And he's being 100% serious.

What do I do? Cab he kick me out if I'm still in full time education? I have no money and can't afford anything. What implications will this have on my school life? Should I tell the uni that have accepted me?
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. If it's an option, grovel to him, apologise, whatever you have to do. A few more months living with him and putting up with that is better than being on the street. If they give you council housing that's another matter, but I don't think it's that simple. Once you are a university you can sort stuff out.

2. If you do pack, make sure you have your passport and all your important documents.

3. Tell your school and university. Your school should be able to help you with temporary accommodation, even if they just let you stay there for a couple of nights.

4. Contact a charity such as Shelter or Childline - even if you are 19, Childline they should be able to point you in the direction of the right support, but they help people 'up to their 19th birthday', and it sounds like you qualify. There are organisations out there that can give you far more accurate advice than we can.

Good luck - I hope it gets sorted.

Edit: some websites:
http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relat...ents-3293.html
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...r_young_people
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8074753AA7nIBF

By the way, are you 18 yet?
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My dad was acting horrendously about my recent exam results (I actually got the best grades attainable) and I told him I was sick of him constantly doing that.

He's now told me to pack my things because he's taking me to the housing office tomorrow to make me homeless. And he's being 100% serious.

What do I do? Cab he kick me out if I'm still in full time education? I have no money and can't afford anything. What implications will this have on my school life? Should I tell the uni that have accepted me?
My dad kicked me out at 17.. I ended up in a youth hostel. I had no money so took part in activities with other residents. Long story short, I ended up in a young offenders institute for 9 months of pure hell and torture.

Appologise.. when it comes to ass you gotta kiss it untill you can kick it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's fine. You will be likely be placed in emergency accommodation for a while and then you will probably get income support and housing benefit. No need to tell your school or university if you don't want to. It may have some implications for your student finance application though as they may want proof that you are estranged from your family. You'll be fine just make sure you remember to budget for 52 weeks accommodation at university as you won't have a home to return to in the holidays.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Any friends or family you can stay with either temporarily or permanently?
gustavus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does your dad know you got the best grades possible? Soubds horrid situation - hope it improves!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads