Lularose83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Calculate the enthalpy change for thermal decomposition of lithium carbonate (li2c03) given enthalpy of formation for li2c03- -1216 kj mol-1, li02- -598 kj mol-1 and c02- -394 kj mol-1. I got 224 kj mol-1, but I don't think it's right.

Calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction; c(graphite)>> c(diamond)
Enthalpy of combustion of carbon- graphite is -393.5 kj mol-1 and carbon-diamond is -395.4 kj mol-1.
Lularose83
Rep:
?
Bump
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you show us your try, please?
Lularose83
Rep:
?
For the first one I subtracted the product values (lithium oxide and co2) from the reactant enthalpy value (lithium carbonate) and got 224 kj mol-1.

I haven't tried the second one yet because I don't know what to do!
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you drawn a Hess' cycle?

Which way do your arrows points? Up or down?
Lularose83
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Have you drawn a Hess' cycle?

Which way do your arrows points? Up or down?
They point down! I think I drew the cycle correctly, I just wanted to see the answer that someone else got
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The arrows represent the arrows in a normal balanced equation. You're suggesting that enthalpy of formation represents the conversion of compounds into their elements. Does that match up with the definition (you REALLY HAVE to know VERY WELL - they will ask it every other paper)?
Lularose83
Rep:
?
The arrows represent the arrows in a normal balanced equation. You're suggesting that enthalpy of formation represents the conversion of compounds into their elements. Does that match up with the definition (you REALLY HAVE to know VERY WELL - they will ask it every other paper)?
Yes, they match. I think the main question that I wanted to ask was whether you subtract enthalpy of products from enthalpy of reactants or the other way round?
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're given enthalpy of formation values, the arrows must point from the elements (assuming you've put them underneath the equation) up to the compounds.

I teach it thus:

Starting with Li2CO3 you can either decompose it to CO2 and Li2O OR you can do the reverse of enthalpy of formation and form the elements.

Since 2Li + C + 3/2O2 -> Li2CO3 has DH = -1216, the reverse must therefore have DH = - (-1216)

Now you've got a bunch of separate elements one can re-combine them to form our products, i.e. do DH of formation of Li2O and CO2. In this case we're going in the same direction of the arrows (pointing upwards) so we'll add the DH values.

The algebra becomes: DH(decomposition) = - (-1216) + (-598) + (-394) = +214

Alternatively, you can do products - reactants, but it could be reactants - products, depending on whether you're using enthalpy of formation or combustion data (I can't remember which way round they go!).
Lularose83
Rep:
?
You're given enthalpy of formation values, the arrows must point from the elements (assuming you've put them underneath the equation) up to the compounds.

I teach it thus:

Starting with Li2CO3 you can either decompose it to CO2 and Li2O OR you can do the reverse of enthalpy of formation and form the elements.

Since 2Li + C + 3/2O2 -> Li2CO3 has DH = -1216, the reverse must therefore have DH = - (-1216)

Now you've got a bunch of separate elements one can re-combine them to form our products, i.e. do DH of formation of Li2O and CO2. In this case we're going in the same direction of the arrows (pointing upwards) so we'll add the DH values.

The algebra becomes: DH(decomposition) = - (-1216) + (-598) + (-394) = +214

Alternatively, you can do products - reactants, but it could be reactants - products, depending on whether you're using enthalpy of formation or combustion data (I can't remember which way round they go!).
That makes sense, thank you very much!
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you get for the other Q?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads